Sick Rope fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
Purchased a rope fish yesterday from the LFS. Since I brought him home he just sits in one spot, doesn't eat even after putting blood worms right in his face. His gills are moving so I know he is alive but he doesn't seem to be doing well. If I put my hand in the tank he starts freaking out, swimming erratically and then goes back to sitting in one spot and doing nothing for hours. I put my hand in there cause I thought he was dead.

The LFS said he had been there one week before I purchased him. Just wondering if this is normal for a newly introduced rope fish. Going to put him in my breeder deal to monitor him more closely. Also going to go get a couple different types of food to put in with just him and see what happens.

he may just be freaked out after the move. wait a couple of days to start worrying

Agreed. What is the temp in your tank and what else is in there? Also, I had one and he was very inactive and would curl up in the back a lot. He eventually died and a couple months later I bought 3 more. They swim around ALL the time and are best friends with my discus lol

Temp is 76 degrees +\- 1 degree. I have a ghost knife, red tailed shark, gold Severum and blue crayfish....they all (except crayfish) keep going over and checking out he rope fish...like they r worried about him. Should I get more than one so they can hang out ? I really like them ....

how big is the tank,and how big is the cray? the cray will probably make a run at one of them eventually,unless one of them eats it first

75 gallon tank. They r all about equal in size right now....ghost knife about 4-5 inches. Cray about 3. Ghost knife occupies one side of tank and fray stays on other side...he learned early on to stay away from the ghost knife, who doesn't bother anyone UNLESS they try to invade his hiding spot...which no one does anymore. I knew the risk with the cray but so far so good...

just remember,that cray could decide to have a midnight snack one day and you could wake up with a half eaten fish. or the other way around,if the cray cant keep up with the fish's growth

Ya I hear ya. Everyones territory has been pretty well established and the cray is on the bottom of the pecking order. He keeps to himself for the most part. The BGK and Severum will grow pretty fast so if anything be would probably be the one getting picked on.

My rope fish is in my plastic breeder now. I put ghost shrimp, a small amount of krill and beef heart but he hasn't touched a thing...the Severum devoured 2 ghost shrimp....seems like he has a never ending stomach.

Update:

Rope fish is still alive, but not sure for how much longer. Haven't seen him eat yet...put food in front of his face and nothing. Pretty much lays in one spot all day. Every so often he comes alive and appears like he is trying to swim to the surface but he makes it halfway and starts spinning and spinning then falls back to the bottom of the tank....

I have no clue what to do, if anything.

alLexX said:
how big is the tank,and how big is the cray? the cray will probably make a run at one of them eventually,unless one of them eats it first

My baby Senegal bichir(4 inches) ate a red cray when he molted! It was a big cray too!

Got another rope fish from live aquaria....this one is doing fantastic...after only a couple hours he is swimming all over the tank and seems happy as can be....I think I will keep shopping with them.

So my role fish had been sick for a month. I never saw him eat, he looked like he was always gasping for air and had a glazed look about him. Every so often he would try and get to the surface for air but would just spin in circles and never make it.

All of the sudden the other day I can't find him, see another rope fish swimming All over the place (I have 2) and realize this was/is the sick one and he is all better...I was ready to euthanize him cause I felt so bad for him....so weird but I'm happy he is ok

Back
Top Bottom