Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sick rosy barb - Update not good

One of my neon rosy barbs has a lump behind his gill on the right side, and both of his eyes seem to be bulging a little bit. He's trying to eat but doesn't seem to be able to grab anything. He just doesn't look right at all.

Any ideas what it could be? A tumor and/or popeye? What should I do for him?

TIA

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

bump

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
Old 12-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Water parameters? How long have you had him.... Answer all Qs in this thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=33947
Then we can better help.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oops, sorry Menagerie, I didn't know about that thread.

The sick neon rosy barb is in the 75 gal. which has been set up since July. Current residents are listed below in the sig. I got all 5 barbs at the same time, on 10/8 and moved them into the 75 gal after quarantine, on 10/14. Everyone else in that tank has been healthy, no problems.

Did tests yesterday: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, pH 7.6, water temp 80.
I do 20% water changes weekly and vacuum the gravel. Last water change was this past Friday.
Filtration: Cascade 300 and AquaClear 110 HOB filters, for a total of 800 gph.
Eheim Jager heater 250 watt.
Two air stones.
Artificial plants.
Nothing new has been added to the tank since they went in.
Largest fish is about 4 inches (pictus cats).

I'll repeat his symptoms: lump behind the gill opening, right side, both eyes bulging a little bit. He's still swimming around and sometimes looks fairly normal, but other times he hangs out under a plant or near the surface and it looks like he's trying to get food. He doesn't seem to be gasping for air.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Separate him ASAP. Treat with an antifungal/bacterial med. I am currently treating a fish with popeye using a kanamycin based med--too early to tell if it's helping. If it is popeye, it is a symptom of a disease that is most often caused by bacteria.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay, I separated him into a 5 gal hospital tank. Am treating with Maracyn-2 which seems to be appropriate for his symptoms. The lump on his side is now reddish, and he's lost color.

This is an Eclipse hex tank. I'm running the filter with floss but no carbon. I put a heater and thermometer in there and a rock decoration for him to hang out in. I sure hope whatever he has isn't contagious.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Keep us updated.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now he's doing somersaults. I thought he was doing better this morning. The lump on his side looked less red and maybe even smaller. But now he's doing this.

Should I euthanize him? Or could it be a swim bladder problem that might get better? I don't know what to do.

Tags
barb, ick, rosy barb, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com