Sick-Skinny-Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquena

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few weeks ago I purchased two female red Platys, one of the two has always been smaller, less colorful and prefers to stay alone, usually in the plants. Increasingly she is losing weight, but she does eat. Her fins are always usually clamped. She is becoming weaker. The thinnest part of her is just before her tail fin. My water parameters are all normal, but I have been doing many large water changes almost daily in the last week because of a spiked nitrite issue I had last week. She seems to be fighter, and eats when fed. Tonight she was stuck in the filter, but as soon as I got the net to help her, she swam away/off of the suction of the filter. Thanks for any help as to what she is suffering from.

It's hopeless, just sitting here watching her, she got sucked onto the filter intake, I took her off, but I need to euthanize her. How to do this humanely??? I have no Clove oil..

Usually responding to your own thread will cause it to be missed.

Any way I would say that there's nothing you can do if its progressed this far. Sounds like either a bacterial or parasitical internal affliction.

I would just separate her from your healthy fish and let her pass in a separate container. I'm assuming you don't have another tank. Maybe a bucket or large bin filled with tank water. At least the fish would be in some type of comfort. I won't expect her to last more than a few more hours, especially if she can't resist the filter intake.

Try to keep an eye on your healthy fish. Watch for clamped fins, flashing, raised scales, discolored poop, frayed fins, white sand like spots, fuzzy white patches.

Most common cause of fish illness is bad water quality. Keep up with the PWC's and monitor water parameters.

Also try to invest in a quarantine tank. Fish bought from stores are usually stressed and commonly carry infections. This can be easily introduced to your healthy fish when you bring them home. By having a quarantine allows you to monitor your new fish and be prepared to get them healthy.

Good Luck!!

I do have a quarantine tank, I also have a foam bubble filter to put in there from my main tank. I'm going to try! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom