Sick Tank, Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shelaelae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I have a fully cycled, 40 gallon community tank with a Fluval 110 HOB for filtration, and UV sterilizer, currently stocked with a variety of Corydoras, Otocinclus, Zebra Danios, and a Bristlenose Pleco. I've had this tank for years, with minimal illness, nothing widespread, until now. All of them, except for the Otos seem to have something up.

Several of the Cory's have swollen mouths, no white fungus, just swollen mouths/barbells, and some are missing their barbells. If it's a darker Cory, their mouth is white, not cottony, just white. They eat, and act normal, just with fat lips. I haven't seen them throwing fins at each other either.

The Danios are all really fat, some disproportionately fat. I've dealt with dropsy in the past with Bettas and Gourami, and I don't see the distinguishable signs of dropsy with the Danios. They swims just fine, and eat like sea pigs. I've never had a spawn from them, and for a time I thought I might be needing to be expecting eggs, it's been too long now.

My Pleco's only issue is that on the bottom quarter of both of his pectoral fins, outer side, is red, not actively bleeding, but it looks like he's been scratching at something. For a time, he was moving a cave around. I took it out, and he still has fresh wounds. They don't look infected, but they aren't healing either.

I'm at a loss of what to do. It's so many different things going on, and I don't know if they're connected. I want to be careful with medicine as well, Pleco is my baby, and I'm terrified to dose him with anything. I also have Corys with neurological issues (bought like that), and I need to be careful with them as well.

I have used the Imagitarium Bacterial Infection Remedy for 3 treatments. It helped a little bit with one Cory, but within a few days, the Cory is back to how it was again.

I couldn't get pictures, the sight of a camera, and they all scatter.

Thank for all the help, it's much appreciated!

Corys losing their barbels is most commonly a high nitrate issue. What is your nitrate at? What is your normal water change schedule? Sharp abrasive substrate is also considered a common cause.

Ive found that danios tend to get fat as they get older, they tend to get to the food first and eat a disproportionate amount. How much are you feeding? How old are the fish? They are naturally an annual fish, but will live 3 years in a safe aquarium environment.

I clean the tank once a week, and the nitrate tends to be between 5-10ppm on cleaning day. I've got the same fine sand I've had since I set up the tank.

I've had the Danios for roughly 7 months, not sure how old they were when I bought them, and the tank gets fed twice a day to ensure everyone gets food. With them, I'm not so worried that they are fat, just how their fat with some being lopsided or bloated looking.

Back
Top Bottom