Sick Tetras - worried about Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikedbom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had ten tetras, 5 black phantoms and 5 red serpae. I've lost 4 so far to Ich in the last 3 days. I have 4 cichlids including two firemouths that seem happy and healthy. The Ich seems to be spreading among the tetras. I'm worried about losing my cichlids though. I cranked the heat up to 86-88. I added salt a couple days ago but just did a 75% water change. Should I keep the heat up and stick with the salt treatment or but the bullet and go with meds?

I know there are quite a few topics on this but I'm trying to spare my cichlids from death and I'm curious as to why only the tetras are affected. Water quality is good. Tested today and within spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some fish types are more resistant to getting it. I've had rosy barbs avoid it. Generally if one fish gets it, I find the rest of the school gets it.

Imo I'd stick with the heat since you have it up now.

Keep the heat up and stick with your salt treatment. It should not last much longer.

What are the other two cichlids and are they all adults?

My experience is that when caught early and treated properly it is rare to lose larger, healthy fish to Ich.

Lost all of the black phantoms...last one died overnight. Still have all the red serpae although a couple have the white dots. I broke down and got some of the Kordon Ich Attack due to my large firemouth getting a couple white spots. This morning they appeared to be gone though. I'm keeping the heat up but did not add more salt after the big water change. Forgot to add there is a Pictus cat in the tank too.

Here is an image of the other cichlids in my tank. I cant remember what they were called and i've searched the internet for these guys but no luck. Can anybody help with ID?

I'm kind of shocked that my fish got Ich. I've been trying really hard to keep the tank in good order. Did a fishless cycle and kept the cycle running for a good two weeks before stocking the tank. I added live plants about a week after my new neighbors joined and aside from a little territorial issues, they all have been happy and hungry. Also feeding them NLS for Cichlids. I test water every couple of days and always have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates. pH 7.5-7.8. Weekly water changes. Prime water conditioner.

Maybe the male firemouth was stressing the tetras late at night...idk. He did chase the female and the other two cichlids a lot. The male and female firemouths now swim together but he'll get after her every now and then. I guess thats all for now. I appreciate the feedback.

Lost two more tetras last night. They are just covered and not a speck on the cichlids or the catfish.

tetras are not a great fish for a new tank they probably got shocked , by a minni cycle which weakened them and the ick took over , you need to treat ick for 2 weeks minimum to get rid of it
fire months will probably eat all your tetras when the grow big enough

Thank for the info. I got the red serpae and black phantoms with the fire mouths cuz I read they would work fine. Any recommendations on a better schooling fish for SA cichlids?

A little over 6 tablespoons. I just did a water change today and haven't added anymore salt. 55gallon

They all seem to be doing fine with the heat and salt. Up to 88 right now. I turned it down just a tad today cuz it felt warmer that the thermometer said. They seem to die in the night. All have been found in the morning and actually two bodies were never recovered.

I always run two large air stones so I'm covered there.

Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom