sick texas chiclid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxyangel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a texas chiclid and a zebra chiclid in my tank.

The zebra chiclid is quite aggressive, but texas is almost twice the size of him so it thought he would be ok.

My texas jumped out of the tank yesterday. My boyfriend found him on the foor. Tex was still breathing so bf put him back into the tank.

I had sprayed insect spray on the floor, in the area where bf found Texas, a few nights before he jumped out.

He is alive in the tank but is just sitting on the bottom. When i put something near him he will swim away, but then just goes back to the bottom and sits there. It looks like he is having trouble breathing, but no rapid gill movements. He seems to have his balance and isn't floating upside down or anything. sometimes though, he will lean on the side of the tank.

I am really worried about him. Is he still in shock? Is he going to die?? is there anything i can do??

The Zebra seems to be leaving him alone for now so i don't think that is a concern.. at the moment anyway.

Your best bet is to keep the water quality up and hope for the best. Maybe lower the temperature a bit or lower the water level to increase surface agitation, this will increase the amount of oxygen in the water and make it easier for him to breathe.

Good advice Endgame; although, I would only increase the surface agitation and not lower the temp.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Tex is still hanging in there - He stays up near the filter bubbles, it must make it easier for him to breath.

The ingredients in the insect spray are:
1.08g/kg tetramethrin 20-80
0.25g/kg Phenothrin 20-80
2.17g/kg Piperonyl Botoxide
3.18g/kg N-Octyl Bicycloheptene Dicarbonoximide

Back
Top Bottom