Sick Wild Guppies, possible worms/parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt68005

Aquarium Advice Addict
So about a year ago i got some wild guppies thru the mail. I was dissapointed with them and when i told the guy he got mad and blocked communication with me. Go figure. I can order "wild guppies" all the way from florida and they get here in perfect condition in 3 days, i order from Kansas city (i live in omaha, its like a 4 hour drive) and it takes 3 1/2 days.
Anyways, the males were skinny, some very skinny. At first i just thought it was from malnutrition, ovbiously the guy is a ripoff.....
So ive been feeding them well and Since ovbiously he dosent know what hes doing and has been inbreeding probably for at least a year, i decided to throw in a few enders and a few "feeder" guppies from the pet store.
But the "skinny" disease on the males persist on a few of them, and now it has been affecting females. The males usually act fine, just not hungary, and look skinny, and the females droop their cadual/pendule and clamp up and kind of swim funny but not too bad.
Ive been around the book with bacterial and Mold/Fungal infections in fish, and i know quite a bit, but honestly i think this is a parasite, to which i havent had much trouble in the past....
I would post pictures if i could, maybe if anyone knows what type of parasite or worm this is it would help me. If just been killing the affected females when they get bad, dosent seem to spread or anything just here and there once or twice a month ill take a close look at them and notice a couple that i cull. Thanks, sorry to ramble on.

It's very possible that they have an internal parasite. I would start treatment with parasite medication.

Do they happen to have any red lines or splotches on the skin?

Back
Top Bottom