Sickly Apisto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
I hadn't seen my female for a few days now, so I figured she was under the driftwood tending to fry again. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. While looking at my tank this morning, she was up towards the top in the corner, clamped fins, sunken stomach, and just looks generally beat up. Now, I'm not really experienced with apistos, so I may be seeing breeding behavior (ie the male beating up on her), so if that's it, then I won't be as concerned.

No new additions to the tank, the pair was actually the last addition back 2 months ago I guess. NO change in diet, nothing that doesn't normally go on. She will not eat today though. I put bloodworms, flakes, pellets, you name it in front of her and she refused to eat. That's what worries me the most.

Test results:

ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 10-20 (they're hard to read!)
pH- 7.6 before the co2 kicked on

I'm sure everyone knows I"m a stickler for water changes, at least 50% a week. I've already done a 50% this morning and will be following up with at least one more today. I guess I"m just more curious on whether there may be something else going on, or if this is all completely normal and I'm overreacting.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

I've never kept Apistos before but the thing that concerns me is the sunken stomach, clamped fins, and not eating. These are all signs of Bloat, the only other symptom missing is stringy white pooh. I think that isolating her and treating with a couple rounds of Jungle Parasite Clear would be in order. Walmart sells it and it's the only thing that I've found to work. This sounds like parasites rather than a victim of aggression.

That's what concerned me as well. It doesn't make sense that it would be parasites or any disease really, since it's been about 2 months since adding them, and they were very healthy when I got them. I am going to isolate her for sure, and as much as I hate the idea of using meds, I do not want to lose this fish because of my stubborn ideas. Thanks HUKIT, I guess I just had my mind set that it was breeding aggression.

Bloat could be caused by diet or stress. When a food used that a fish can't process well it irritates the intestines walls allowing the parasite to take hold. I had gone through this a few times when using frozen foods or lower grade pellets. Since making the switch to feeding NLS exclusively I've never encountered it again, now I know you feed quality foods but I'd look into Apistos getting Bloat from the frozen bloodworms.

Just did a quick search on Google and there's alot of information on Apistos getting Bloat from frozen bloodworms.

Last edited:
I doubt bloodworms caused it... she didn't eat them much, and once a week if that. The male only eats them.. he wont touch pellets or flakes of any kind. She has been eating mostly NLS grow .5mm pellets, since those are the only ones that I have in .5mm. I'm pretty sure that apistos are a carnivore naturally, but I'll definitely check it out. I'm working right now on getting a 20 long with a sponge filter set up. I have to go out here in a few, so I'll stop by walmart and pic up the parasite tabs.

Just a quick update.... she's been in the 20 long for 2 days now... started treatment back on Sunday, been doing daily 50% pwc's and putting one tab back in... she still isn't eating, just sitting around with her clamped fins and sunken stomach. I don't know how much longer she can go without eating. I guess at this point she's either going to start recovering or start going further downhill.

Just saw this..... oh no!

I generally hate meds too, but in this case I agree. Have you fed live black worms or tubifex? You could also try food soaked with metro, but it seems to be getting a bit difficult to find.

I've tried tempting her with everything, NLS, garlic flakes, brine shrimp, daphnia... nothing. I doubt any medicated foods would work simply because she won't eat.

I don't have any black worms or tubifix worms, I dont even think I could find them anywhere around here... well, other than the freeze dried tubifix

When treating with Metro I don't feed for up to five days or until the second treatment is peformed, it can just irritate the intestines further. When caught early enough I've never lost a fish using Parasite Clear.

Just out of curiosity, what's your preferred treatment with the parasite clear? The directions gave several different instructions. I've just been doing the daily 50% water change and adding back 1 tab (as it's a 20g, and it says one per 10g)... that sound ok to you?

I don't perform daily water changes when treating, I start with a water change then treat for 48hrs followed by PWC then another round of treatment. There's also theories about Metro and light, so I also leave the lights out during treatment. I always perform 2-3 rounds of this medication to make sure it's done.

I've never used that so I'd differ to H, but in general you will want any treatment for apistos to be at 50-75% dose. JMO.

Well, there's no direct light, but I have no stand (yet) so it's on the kitchen counter... just ambient room light. I'll do a 75% change tomorrow and add one back, so it'll be more like 75% strength then. I will say, a few minutes ago she was up and swimming around a little, definitely an improvement over yesterday. The tank is bare with a sponge filter and a piece of driftwood to provide some cover for her, though she has been laying in the corner where the bottom and side meet.

On an unrelated note... I'm planning on moving my tanks this weekend to the new house. Would it be best to keep her here for another week (until we totally move), or would moving her be ok? I'm kind of torn between it, since next weekend will be pretty hectic. I suppose I could keep her here another week after that, though we wont be here to keep an eye on her.

True. I still don't want to try it and as far as "rules" go, it's a decent one to throw out there.

MFD- I think stability is a key here. I wouldn't move her. Added stress can only be bad.

Back
Top Bottom