Silicone poisoning, one fish alive.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madtiiler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I HAD a 55 gallon freshwater, planted tank, i finally got it to where i wanted it and then everything went downhill.

I put some rocks together using GE 100% silicone, i let it cure for a couple days and placed them in my tank, i come back home 6 hrs later and all h*ell is breaking loose in my tank.

Out of all my fish, only my opaline gourami and two ottos are left. My gourami is still young, only 2 1/2 inches long, hes a fighter. i moved them to a separate tank, put a little aquarium salt in it, and some kordon fish protector, temps at 82-84, nice circulation.

The gourami has some copper-ish discoloration towards his tail, he didn't have this before i added the d*amn silicon-ed rocks (mind u, these rocks were in there for months, wanted to glue them together so they wouldn't move from the pleco). Sigh.

I don't want my last 3 fish to die, is there anything else i could possibly do to save them?

I would try to do some heavy water changes so you can get the rest of the silicone poisoning out. Sorry about your losses.

There are different types of GE 100% silicone...which one did you use? My understanding is the type labeled for bathrooms and kitchens is the one you do NOT want to use, as it contains a mildewcide.

I used the type for windows and doors months ago to build "retaining walls" for the gravel in my 75 gallon tank and my fish have been fine. No deaths.

I would remove the glued up rocks and do two back-to-back 50% water changes right now, and then do it again tomorrow.

i don't remember exactly which one it was, i got pissed and threw everything out.

im def guna do constant water changes to make sure.

i have sand in my tank, should i throw it out or get new sand?

a good side note.
Gimpy (my gourami) is doing really well, a lot more active, his color is back to normal, along with his appetite :) hes a strong little brute.

thats why to be safe i bought the silicone from petco. cant go wrong that way

Indeed there are different types of GE 1005 silicone. There is I and II, as well as Windows and Doors, and Kitchens and Baths. The one to use is GE Silicone I for windows and doors. Normally I use a house brand that says aquarium safe on the label and costs a little less than the GE, although it may be the same product. for sure, all those rocks withe silicone need to be removed.

thats why to be safe i bought the silicone from petco. cant go wrong that way

True, but that stuff is expensive. It's ok for a small job, but if you need to use a lot (for retaining walls, as an example) then cost becomes an issue. Especially when I know there is a safe alternative.

I don't know what to suggest for the sand situation. I would think that removing it and rinsing it THOROUGHLY would be enough...but honestly I have no personal experience to back that up.

I found a silicone from Lowe's that was labeled as aquarium safe... It was a LOT cheaper than the stuff at the LFS and my son used it in his cichlid tank with no problems... I would take the rocks out and scrub them THOROUGHLY to get all the silicone off (if you can get them apart)... I would also second the recommendation to thoroughly rinse out the sand and I would add that you might want to let it completely drain and dry before putting it back in the tank, just to make sure that all the nasties from the silicone are gone...

yeah, i chucked all the rocks with the silicone, the crap wouldn't get off.

i think as a precaution im going to get new sand, i don't want to risk it all over again. blah.

but thank you everyone for the help, at least there was a tiny happy ending with my lone gourami <3

Back
Top Bottom