Silver Molly Very Thin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwesomeMarioFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Silver Molly Unhealthy - Urgent

Hello,

Our tank water has gotten pretty bad lately and our silver molly is not doing so well. We did a water test yesterday and the bad parameters were pH (which seemed to be around 8.1, and nitrates which I believe was around 120PPM (Which seems to be pretty bad looking at the scale). We did an immediate 30-35% change, but I was worried too much more would make it even worse (since I read that they get used to the conditions of the tank).

Within the last ~1 week, our molly also has had decreased energy and won't eat as much as the other guppies in the tank, and also seems to be losing color in his fins and getting very thin. I thought that this must be a problem with diet, since his diet has not been well lately (only flakes, and sometimes since everyone in our family feeds them it's hard to keep track of when they were fed and when they weren't). It is a male fish and he is about 1.5 years old, but was usually pretty healthy. We recently purchased freeze-dried shrimp and are occasionally feeding them this to add variety to his diet. He also looks like he is swimming oddly, which may be caused by what seems to be a small curve in his spine (it is hard to tell though if it is curved or not). Researching about possible diseases, I found fish TB, and vitamin deficiency, however I am not sure which of these it is, or if it is something else entirely. Could someone help us out? I will post pictures in a second, just want to get the message posted now.

IDK what is wrong with your molly, nobody does, sometimes they can be bullied and not get any food or get tummy problems, and they will be hiding in the corner skinny.
My advice is to find the bully the "alpha" male, and replace him (normally the largest male or a black molly) with a smaller white, poka dot or yellow male.

I have a Molly who recently developed shimmies from not being in brackish water. Apparently mollies do better in brackish water than fresh (although technically they can live in both, even salt water). Her spine curved to and she actually lost control of it now :(
I am hoping she recovers but I found out what it was too late I think.
Does your Molly wobble at all? Just throwing this in to help brainstorm. Might not be the problem at all but worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom