Slim guppy with pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peppermint

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! My female guppy has developed a flat belly for a couple of weeks now. Her underbelly seems particular flat or even concave and the scales on the underbelly only seem to protrude. I noticed other guppies having this in the past before dying later on.

She is otherwise swimming ok and eating fine. Her poo is sometimes stringy white but I suspect it is not diarrhea since it varies from normal black to white during the day.

Water parameters: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10
Temp: 74F

In the picture: she has a crooked head and back...been like that since I got her 6 months ago and seems normal to her. (any thoughts as to why? genetics?) She's given birth 4-5 times and survived so far. Note her flat belly that is new and a bit worrisome.

Attachments

• IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 248
Going from memory here... Seems like Rickets (sp?) to me. One of my guppies had a bent spine like that too. I think rickets is from a vitamin D, calcium or phosphorus deficiency. Could probably google Rickets and see some pictures to compare and read more on it. Unfortunately there is no treatment, just prevention - feeding a varied diet.

Going from memory here... Seems like Rickets (sp?) to me. One of my guppies had a bent spine like that too. I think rickets is from a vitamin D, calcium or phosphorus deficiency. Could probably google Rickets and see some pictures to compare and read more on it. Unfortunately there is no treatment, just prevention - feeding a varied diet.

Interesting. Rickets is from a deficiency of what you mentioned and it doesn't seem to affect reproduction or behavior.

Any idea as to why her belly is flat though? That is the bothersome part.

Yes, it does not affect the fish's abilities to reproduce. I think it is actually found in females more often than not. Which kind of makes sense in your situation.

I had a female guppy with a straight spine that got really skinny like that suddenly. I have no idea what the cause was, but she didn't make it long.

belly seems normal compared to my guppies.

I should have put 2 pictures to compare...
First picture is what one would expect a normal-looking female belly to be.
Second picture is what my guppy looks like.

Attachments

• guppy.jpg
    guppy.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 787
  • IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,052
Guppy Troubleshooter

Skinny Guppy [Archive] - Aquarium Forum

All I am coming up with is TB . :( I hope she does ok

EDIT: Just found this :
Fish Tuberculosis (TB)

Also appropriately named the Wasting Disease. Fish stop eating, become hollow-bellied, emaciated, grow ulcers, eyes protrude, fins rot, colours pale and the fish becomes inactive. Guppies may live months in such condition. All symptoms will not appear, but be cautious if more than 2 show. TB is caused by mycobacterium bacteria, and is passed from fish to fish by feeding on dead infected fish and feces. Guppies can pass TB to their offspring as well, so it is particularly dangerous and action must be immediate. Remove the diseased fish for observation. If there is no improvement, destroy the fish. Be sure to remove any dead or dying fish from the tank, and quarantine completely. If a number of fish die from TB, tear down the tank and disinfect everything with bleach. TB outbreaks can usually be avoided with proper environmental conditions. TB bacterium is pathogenic to humans. Do not reach into the tank water with bare skin, especially if you have any damaged skin, and never touch a sick/dead fish with bare hands. People who contract TB will endure sores which take weeks of antibiotics to cure.

Courtesy of http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Ailments.html

I just read through your other post and noticed that some of your other fish were sick recently also, are you sure there isn't something unleashed in your tank? Did you get anything recently, and do you quarntine? It gives me red flags that all your fish are getting sick. I think you might have something untreated still in your tank possibly? I hope you can figure it out soon with our help so your fish can be healthy and you can be happy :)

I just read through your other post and noticed that some of your other fish were sick recently also, are you sure there isn't something unleashed in your tank? Did you get anything recently, and do you quarntine? It gives me red flags that all your fish are getting sick. I think you might have something untreated still in your tank possibly? I hope you can figure it out soon with our help so your fish can be healthy and you can be happy :)

Yeah I quarantine my fish. The guppy disease has nothing to do with that of the newly bought quarantined ones...unless bacteria and parasites can teleport of course.

It could be parasites that make them skinny. Also it's rickets, it's both caused by a calcium deficiency and also genetic. The more you inbreed the more rickets you will get. I would not let the female breed in order to keep your stock as strong as possible.

Yes, pathogens can be carried by anything wet out of another tank.

Back
Top Bottom