Slime-y white strings hanging from betta tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, so I've searched the archives but I must not be using the proper terminology.
I believe what my betta has is a fungus, but I was looking for medication recommendations.
Ive had him for over a year, 5 gallon filtered, heated (80 degree) tank.

Water stats is

Ph - 7.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

Any recommendations? I'll try to post a photo

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

looks like a piece of debris. lol, betas breathe air, can you just take him out with your hands, clean and wet, and remove it carefully?

Thanks for the response. Funny you say that. It would not have occurred to me had I not don't the same thing about a week ago. I carefully removed what I believe was a small piece of hair. Then two days ago I saw something on him again (different place on the body then before and didn't look the same). While I observed him, it fell off. So netted it and it felt slippery and, frankly, kinda like mucus. That was when I started Googling and found a few others that diagnosed it as a fungus. It wouldn't surprise me really. I've had this guy well over a year and we have battled fin issues since day one. I've treated for fin rot in every possible way. Salt, fungal treatments - any brand you can think of, antibiotics, Indian almond leaves, and 100s of water changes. His fins have shown very little lasting improvement although he swims and eats just fine. I've removed every possible sharp edge forever ago. I've come to the conclusion he has to be nipping at his fins. I've not seen him do it, but i keep the lights off during the day and most days I'm at work so it's likely he's doing it then.

Last night I did a water change, removed the filter material, and treated with Tetra Fungus Guard since it was what I had on hand. It says to repeat the dose in 4 days if needed, but I'll do it again just in case.

Now my worry is I have 3 other tanks. I use the same water changing hoses and scrub brushes on them all. I hope I haven't contaminated the other tanks. I'll make another thread and ask that question.

Well... That was a book. Sorry for the long post. Thank you again for the help. Still open for any suggestions or comments

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom