Small bugs in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brownshoe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought some new fish and now I have a bunch of these small bugs. What do I need to do to save my fish from these bugs (parasites? ). Theyre all over the side of the glass on the inside and a bunch of on top of the water. Theres a ton of them. I have a 55 gallon tank. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated. Btw sorry this is my first post. I'm new to this lol

Attachments

• 20200625_235212.jpg
    20200625_235212.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200625_235206.jpg
    20200625_235206.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 30
I think they're springtails, but I'm not 100% sure. I've been trying to find out how to get rid of them. My fish seem to munch on them sometimes. Sorry for not doing more research before posting here.

You could try lowering the water level so the return agitates the surface more, breaks up the surface tension and they can longer occupy the surface and drown.

If your fish occasionally will eat them, perhaps stop feeding them for a few days so they will clean up the problem for you.

Ive also just read that a hairdryer on high heat blown daily over the surface will burn them and force them under the water to drown. Doing that over several days will kill them off. Maybe give that a try?

In general, these things appear because the conditions are right for them. Do regular water changes, keep your aquarium in good order, dont overfeed or leave food uneaten. They should disappear over time if the conditions arent suitable for them.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to stop feeding my fish for a few days. I think the shop owner had them in his tank and they just multiplied when they got into mine. The fish that I got were on the skinnier side (they're African cichlids) so I wanted to give them a little extra than what I normally would, and that probably just exacerbated the problem.

I normally do like a 30-40% water change every 2 weeks (I always get all of the gravel to make sure theres not a lot of buildup). I try to keep everything pretty clean. I even have a little magnet cleaning thing I clean off the glass from the inside. I probably should just buy a bottom feeder to help me to keep it clean. I just dont know what kind would go with the fish I have (3 cichlids and 1 large pink kisser fish that I've had for almost 3 years).

I just need to do more research on this kind of stuff

Back
Top Bottom