snail shells disinigrating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
New to snails...about 2 weeks ago, I purchased 2 golden apples.

1 week ago, I notice the smallest part of the cone is starting to disinigrate.

Now, they both are and the first really looks bad.

What do I do? What do their shells need that I'm not providing them?

I tested water yesterday, everything is where it should be, ph is...dang...can't remember...will this be important? Spose it will be.

Anyway, just did a check right now, figured I should get a ph reading and got one bad result. First though, my gh is at 100. But...
My kh has bottomed out. I guess that this would be the likely culprit?

Any suggestions for getting it back up fast?

pH won't matter at all, you probably need to dose with calcium. Maybe try one of those cheap "weekend feeder blocks" that disintegrate over time. I think those have quite a bit of calcium and I have heard that snails love them.

i am testing pieces of cuttlebone in my snail tank, thats usually used for birds. its a natuaral product, so long as you use the plain ones. of course the downside is that they float when dry, so i had to weigh them down with rocks...:)

i have also heard of a product called Snail Milk which is supposed to work well, but i dont have a lot of information on that at the moment.

pH does affect shells; the shells will just disintegrate and crumble, killing the snail, if the water is acidic.

I would put a bag of crushed coral (like they sell for marine tanks) in the HOB filter, if you have one. This will gradually bring the KH and pH up for the snails, without being too quick a change. The cuttlebone is a good idea, as are calcium-rich vegetables. Go to applesnail.net; there are tons of ideas for feeding and shell development there.

I have been recommended to use cuttlebone before also. I don't really get what the whole idea is, because my snails couldn't have cared less when it was in there.

I dosed Ca (same stuff you use for marine) which stopped my snail's shell disintegration. CC didn't seem to be sufficient but I have very soft water.

plecoperson said:
pH does affect shells; the shells will just disintegrate and crumble, killing the snail, if the water is acidic.

How would this happen? Aren't snail shells made out of calcium carbonate?

shayfish said:
I have been recommended to use cuttlebone before also. I don't really get what the whole idea is, because my snails couldn't have cared less when it was in there.

i actually wondered the same thing, but i don't think the snails are supposed to directly care anything about it. i believe that the calcium leeches into the water, and then the snails absorb the minerals from the water.

of course i dont know for sure, and applesnail.net does have far better info than i do...:)

snails are best at high ph like 8. Anything in the low 7s their shells will get damaged and eventually kill the snail. They need the high PH which is "liquid rock" to take the minerals and calcium out of the water. When it is to soft it is to acidic and they can not draw out the minerals needed for shell growth.

There is many options! I dose a capfull of Kent's liquid calcium everyday. Works like a charm. Some people use cuttlebones, others have used calcium tablets from stores (certain brands) and feed foods higher in calcium to the snail as well.

The damage can only be halted not reversed so get on it right away!!!! applesnail.net has great sticky on snails needs for calcium and what you can do for them.

People assume these apple snails are easy to care for but they are touchy. Their shells take care like making sure you have either a high Ph or you dose them some calcium. They are pretty touchy to nitrAtes as well and harder to care for them one would think. I am on my second one and just adore having them. I had my last one a year and he was the life of the tank!

Back
Top Bottom