some of you may remember a post about my betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought he may have had dropsy. He is Still really swollen, but when the light shines through him at certain angles, I am almost positive there is a tumor or something growing in his stomach area. I will try and get a picture if I can. My question is this, how long do I let him go on like this? He is still eating, but I notice he lays around more than he used to, and I think his eyesight is going bad. There are still no scales sticking out, but his stomach is really huge. Is there anything I can do to make things easier on him?

I'm sorry to hear that Meredith. It is hard to make the decision on what to do with a sick fish. If it is indeed a tumor then the prognosis is not good unfortunately. Other than water changes as usual to keep him comfortable I'm not sure there is anything you can do that you aren't already doing.

I got a few pics. Does this look tumor like to anyone?

This is just a shot of how lumpy his stomach looks

Here you can see the growth in question. It is the whitish area. It is INside his body

Slightly different angle

Awww - I'm sorry too, Meredith. It doesn't look like dropsy, at least not like my bettas had. It does look like a more defined, "harder" area than how dropsy looks. My betta lived for 10 days with severe dropsy. He still ate and was active until the very last day. I tried to comfort myself by telling myself that fish probably don't feel pain the way we do.

Is he in his own tank or a QT tank? I would suggest antibiotics if you haven't already, but I honestly don't know if it would help enough to risk stressing him out by moving him to QT. It may be too late at this point for meds. :( I would just keep him in his own tank in familiar surroundings. If he's still eating you could always try some medicated food. Jungle makes an antibiotic food, and I have used Seachem's Kanaplex - a pinch mixed with a bit of tank water, and soaked some freeze-dried bloodworms in it - as a food additive.

I would just do as you are doing and I'm sure he is comfortable with what you have been doing for him. Certainly medicated food can't hurt and might help. How old is he? I don't remember if you mentioned it in your previous thread. He sure is a beautiful color!

He is in his own tank. I don't know how old he is for sure, but I have had him for about a year. I could try the medicated food but the thing looks bigger today :( I guess I will just keep the water really clean and keep him as comfortable as possible.

Back
Top Bottom