Something In The Betta's Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelg210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Forgive me if this is a mis-post, as I understand this forum, it is protocol not to detract from a thread.

I did a search and found some posts re: possible eye diseases..but it was dated 2004, so am starting this thread.

My daughter just called me at work and said the betta has " 'something' in his eye / sticking out of his left eye" Also, he just got over ICK and she said looks like he has the same type of spots, but there are only 4, two on each side.

Re: Recent ICK, I treated with aquari-sol for two or three days, did a major water change and then used paraguard, as I found out the copper is not easily removed from the tank at least not in that medicine). The ICK cleared up in approximately 4 - 5 days, but I left the tank on 86, so he was in that temp for a total of 10 days, then I gruadually lowered it back down to 79. Actually the tank is now at 80 as I want to keep it at 81 - 82 from now on. I don't expect the ICK would have come back. (But who knows? Anyone?)

The old post I found was about pop-eye…. Said treat with antibiotics. Is this something paraguard would treat or do I need like tetracycline?

I will not be home until late this evening to get a look at him. At that point, I can provide further details, perhaps even pics.

Does anyone know what this might / could be? Just trying to pre-empt what I can as by the time I get home and figure out what it is / how to treat, pet stores will probably be closed.

Pics will definitely help. All that I can really recommend is clean water. It won't hurt and healthy fish have strong immune systems. Have you tested the water?

Pop eye is caused from dirty water or parasites. Like HN said, clean water will help alot.
What is your water changing schedule?

something in the betta's eye

Pics will definitely help. All that I can really recommend is clean water. It won't hurt and healthy fish have strong immune systems. Have you tested the water?

Pop eye is caused from dirty water or parasites. Like HN said, clean water will help alot.
What is your water changing schedule?[/QUOTE

last major change was about a week or so ago, then a 15 percent change 2 days ago, did another major water change yesterday (60 - 70 % ) trying to vac out any remnants of littly nasties from the ick.

guess i will have to get a look at it....

mjg

If the tank is 5G or smaller, you need to go 2 pwc's a week. If it's bigger, you need to change the water once a week.
While he has the pop-eye or whatever it is, I would change 25-50% of the water evert single day. :)

pics of fish

What is your water changing schedule?[/QUOTE

last major change was about a week or so ago, then a 15 percent change 2 days ago, did another major water change yesterday (60 - 70 % ) trying to vac out any remnants of littly nasties from the ick.

guess i will have to get a look at it....

mjg

IT IS HARD TO SEE EVEN WITH THE CLOSE UPS....

He has like a fungus stuck on his eye(s).... at first it looked as if he has a scaley coating over his eye that is coming off, sort of like a contact at 90 degrees, half on half off with the crease smack in the middle.

After watching him a while, it appears an orange-ish or yellow-is color on the eye(s). One of the eyes appears cloudy, the left one.

Then I noticed he has that fuzzy discoloration on / around his head, but i have noticed it under his jaw since who knows how long. I always thought this was part of his coloration, but perhaps it is like a fungus or something that is spreading.

he also seems to have a bit around the eyes, like on the top front of the left eye for example in the first pic.

I had a friend knows a lot about fish look at it, he said it is not pop-eye, but looks like a fungus. Said he uses API Pimafix, antifungal, made from extract from the Indian Bay Tree, because it is made from all natural ingredients.

Bottle says

PimaFix™

Treats fungal infections and both internal and external bacterial infections. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water. PimaFix has been formulated to work in combination with Melafix to enhance effectiveness against fish diseases.

anyone care to opine after looking at the pics?

Attachments

• DSCN0937.jpg
    DSCN0937.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0961.jpg
    DSCN0961.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0966.jpg
    DSCN0966.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN0970.jpg
    DSCN0970.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
what u can do is,

1. water change.
2. add salt
3. get ur hand on some IAL n BL if not, use pimafix with melafix
4. turn of his light, give him darker.
5. blow ur heater up to 82-84F.

i can tell u this much, its not popeye or ick. blow ur heater up to
it can be fungus in it early stage.

Bump on Black Magic.

I do also think it is a fungus, and given the previous history with ick in the tank, bumping the temp and adding aquarium salt wouldn't be a bad idea, just to make sure they stay gone.

I have bought fish from stores who developed this eye fungus and have had alot of luck treating it with melafix and frequent water changes while in QT. Keep the water clean and make sure not to overfeed in a small tank. Feed your betta slowly and make sure he eats everything you put in. Once they stop eating readily, add no more. This should help with the water quality and give you a sense for how much he actually needs to eat at feeding time.

I would also vacuum with pwc once a week and do a second pwc each week as dkpate suggested. Smaller tanks can easily get gunky as their filtration is a bit wanting compared to the filtration in larger tanks.

I hope your lovely betta has clear eyes soon!

Back
Top Bottom