Something Wrong with Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently one of my 5 angels has started acting weird, its been sitting on or just above the bottom of the tank in the corner staring at the wall, it also seems not as responsive as the others, when I come to the front 4 angels come to the glass, but that one rarely does its eating but not as much as it used to does anyone know what's happening?

Since your Angel is still eating, that lessens the probability of an intestinal infection. A group of like cichlids will eventually establish a pecking order, and Angels are no different. Maybe the noted fish is last on the Angel strength chart and is suffering from bullying. Timidness, darkening and isolation are all indicators of a weaker fish experiencing aggression.

Maybe too small of a tank for 5 angels. And with odd numbers of angels there's always an odd man out. When partnering up as they grow they will become territorial to space wanting to breed. Males will show dominance to others and claim areas when wanting to mate. Some males will claim the whole tank if not big enough or just being a bully. More plants, and hiding areas may help. But, first thing first! Test your water. Watch them. If any are tilting sideways to others, I'd say it's time they are pairing up and being territorial. I have 3 in a 75g and 2 are wanting to breed, if the odd man out gets near their back corner or around the 2. Odd man is chased away from where ever they are. Keep an eye on the solo angel. Look it over see if there's nipping on the fins, that's the biggest sign of bullying. Rearrange the tank maybe it will help.

Its 75 Gallons, Temperature: 79, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, nitrate: 20, pH 7.5, theirs no nipped fins, this one has also recently paired up and layed eggs but they were eaten, ive noticed it sometimes has head spasms where it shakes its head like a fish with a hook in its mouth, it also sometimes whips its fins some others do it two,

The head shaking is a mating dance behavior a lot of new world cichlids exhibit.

I know that this thread is old, but I want to bring it back into the light because i didn't say what happened after this. all the angels eventually started having head spasms and I know that thats usually a mating dance, but this is different its more trying to get something out of its mouth.They also started to kinda clamp their tail fin sometimes, and whip their long pelvic fins like they're trying to get something off, since this thread all but one have died and im guessing this is due to some-type of parasite, im guessing something like ich but its not visible the one that survived was one that was a lower price and grew bigger and faster than the others and seems to be alot stronger with a better immune system, its been about or over a year he had still shown signs like the whipping of his pelvic fins but it had stopped until now hes starting to show signs again but this time im going to try to treat him for ich and/or external parasites. And im going to try to get a video.

angelfish swollen lips

Hope I'm not taking this thread in the wrong direction but::: I have 4 lg veiled Angels with swollen lips.. have been this way for 6 mos.. 3 others with normal finnage and they are fine.. This is 7 total in a 40 lg.. a bit crowded but honestly does not look like it.. From what I'm reading they will die.. a bit hard to take as they still feed and a month ago 2 were laying eggs in the intake tube of the filter..I'm no surgeon.. I do have a heavy duty toenail clipper for[nevermind]. Unbelievable!!!!

Mine seemed perfectly fine other than the fact they were doing weird things with their fins and head, 2 of the 5 paired up and layed 2 batches of eggs and ate just fine then just died and later another two stopped eating about 2 days before they passed, Have your angels been fighting? if so they may have injured each other and possibly got a bacterial or fungal infection,I dont know how to treat bacterial infections as ive never had any, but a quick search could tell you what medications you need?.

I just finnished reading up on this lip virus.. my best understanding is it affects only females.. I was just watching them and SHE is cleaning a tube to lay eggs on and one of the short finned MEN is backing everyone else down... No signs of sickness at all... I thought this lip swelling had to due to with in fighting.. I have never seen them lock up with each other... I did read about some lady who did surgery and cut the bubble off the top lip... unbelievable

Back
Top Bottom