somthing wrong after ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joandave07

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 125 gal tank with about 20 cichlids and we bought two baby plecos from a local lfs that we have been giing to for a few months the week after we bought them we went back to the store and they have the tank quarantine saying it had ich 2 days later the whole tank had an outbreak we bought Madison and got rid of it and 3 days later we have fish dieing no ich in sight I don't know what the problem is it is very discouraging any advice would help

I am sorry about your fish. Can I ask what Madison is? What are the active ingredients? Unfortunately, there is nothing that treats ich in just three days. Your tank and fish need to be treated appropriately. It's also possible the plecos introduced other disease as well because ich typically does not kill otherwise healthy fish in just a few days. Whatever med you added is likely also a factor. Some more info will help!

Sorry miss spell its medicine called nox-ich the plecos were in the tank for a week before we knew they had ich and a few of the fish had it bad but once we treated the tank it went away but we still lost 5 while treatment was happening and 4 after the fact

Active ingredients are sodium chloride and malachite green on the bottle it says treat tank for 3 consecutive days and if problem persists skip one day and treat for 3 more consecutive days but aftrr the 3rd day the fish looked normal again

Thanks! Ich can only be treated when its in the free swimming stage of the parasite. Most ich treatments/methods last two weeks or longer in order to address any ich as it becomes free swimming. Treating for just three days means its still in your tank. Your fish may appear to be symptom free but its very possible its still on them in places you do not see (the gills). It really helps to understand this parasites life cycle in order to be able to address proper treatment. Heres a good article with more information as well as some common myths. Please ask if you have questions!

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom