Somthing wrong with my guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
My guppy has been lay on the bottom of the tank for about a day now, not sure what's wrong with it, when I feed them this morning it come up to the food but didn't eat any of it, it's mate (the other guppy) keeps swimming around it as well, is there anything I can do?

image-1843950564.jpg

I had this problem but it was down to being bullied.. What is your stocking and how large is your tank, and do you know your water readings? I isolated my guppy for 5 days and actually let him back in today as he was swimming again but I'm keeping a close eye.

The tank is 30ltrs and I have angle, Molly's, tetras, platy, I haven't check the water I need to get a kit.
So it's ill then? I haven't seen it being bullied always looked happy

StuMcc99 said:
The tank is 30ltrs and I have angle, Molly's, tetras, platy, I haven't check the water I need to get a kit.
So it's ill then? I haven't seen it being bullied always looked happy

I advise you try to check the water, where I live the fish shop can do one for you. I would invest in a test kit though.. I would do a 50% change ASAP, and try to get the water tested to see what's going on.. Also, is your tank 30 litres or 30 gallons? If its 30 litres you sound over stocked which could be causing problems.. Once you get the water tested thought you'll know what you're dealing with and how to proceed :)

I will do a change then and get a test kit tomoz for it, It's a 30ltr I am getting a bigger tank at Xmas tho, so will have to wait till then, they have been fine up to now

phishfriend said:
It looks like a female. Is is prego? Some female guppies will do this if they are about give birth.:whistle:

I am not sure if its a female I can't tell the diff, it doesn't look any digger than it normally does

StuMcc99 said:
I am not sure if its a female I can't tell the diff, it doesn't look any digger than it normally does

Females are not as colorful. Most only have some color in their tale fins. If both have fancy tale fins and dorsal fins then its two males. In that case the "mate" as you called it is the dominate one bullying the other as someone first posted. I would get a few females if the tank size allows it and this should stop. But remember the female to male guppy ratio is 3 to 1 female to male.

Last edited:
phishfriend said:
It looks like a female. Is is prego? Some female guppies will do this if they are about give birth.:whistle:

That is a male guppy, no doubt about it
To sex guppies, males have a swordlike anal fin, the gonopodium, and females have a fan shaped anal fin

Back
Top Bottom