Sore, ich or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
This cory has a white spot on his head. Please see the picture

All of the cories are pretty listless the last few days

Any ideas so I can get something to treat them right away

ForumRunner_20131205_170420.jpg

A better picture

2013-12-05 17.54.00.jpg

Water params 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates
7.3 ph, 2 kh
90 gallon with custom 29g sump
Teammates include white fin tetras, boesemani rainbows, angelfish, cardinal tetras, rasboras

Another picture
it's like a white spot inside of a white ring. It appears to be a depression in his head.

Everyone is acting normal except the cories, they have been very listless and low activity. Not their usual happy butt wiggling as they putz around the bottom

2013-12-05 18.24.32.jpg

I could be seeing similarities because I just fought this off - but it could be Costia. My fish were attacked by it after the first cold night of the winter when the tank temperature dropped lower than usual.

In my Hoplos it manifested itself in patches on the head, body or fins and started out as whitish patches (that weren't fuzzy or fungus like) and eventually turned to bleeding lesions and depressions where the flesh had been eaten away. I'm not comfortable diagnosing other people's fish, so don't take it as that, but you may want to check into Costia and see if you think it's what you've got. Of note is that it can affect a single fish in a tank even though it spreads easily, and can even be localized to small areas on that fish.

Thanks for the response, I will research that some more.

I am doing a 50% WC, and the cories are all hanging out and swimming together. It's very strange though because for the last few days all of them just hang out on the bottom, just sitting there. Not like I am used to where they constantly sift the substrate. I worry they are all unwell. They are schooling around right now during the WC, maybe just because it stresses them out.

The cory with the sore is swimming with the rest. His fins look fine and he is swimming without difficulty and does not appear to be breathing hard.
I could have netted him out but I have no actual hospital tank (I will get one tomorrow if need be), I only have an HOB isolation unit that uses/returns the tank water, so it's not a real quarantine. So I didn't net him out. Hope that wasn't a huge mistake.

I woke up to this dead cory and it is NOT the white spot one

Belly is red and bloated

ForumRunner_20131206_085914.jpg

Please help, I don't have any idea what I should be pursuing :(
I'm thinking it's not Costia because I don't see a milky slime

If you think the redness looks similiar enough to the pic below (Hoplo that died to Costia), you could try treating it with something similar to Rid Ich+. High temperatures (above 83 degrees apparently) are also effective in fighting it, if it is Costia.

dtoQx9G.jpg

Your corys hava a bacterial infection. The hoplo above looks to have a bacterial problem, probably as a secondary to the costiasis.

You need an antibacterial / antibiotic treatment. Probably best with medicated food if you can get it as the dead cory would appear to have internal bacterial problems

Thanks guys, very much.

I took my dead cory to my LFS along with pictures of the white spot ones and also some pictures of the other cories just hanging out listlessly on the tank bottom.

I happened to get the guy who only works there 2 days a week and it must be his passion job because he was inspecting that cory and my pictures like nobody's business. After hearing about the tankmates which include White Fin Tetras he directed me to go home, turn the lights off to simulate night, and sit at least 6 feet away and watch the white fin tetras. I called my hubby as I left to task him with this and he reported that within 5 minutes of the lights being off and the tetras thinking they were unobserved, the tetras were nipping and attacking the cories.

LFS guy also agreed there is a bacterial infection which he believes to be secondary because of their stress.

I took out all of the white fin tetras (took me an hour to get them all, the jerks). As soon as the tetras were out, 5 of the 7 remaining cories instantly began behaving normally again. Took all the tetras back to the LFS. Purchased a 10 gallon quarantine tank, meds etc.

When I got home another cory had died and had a similar red injury :( Quarantined 2 of the remaining 7 cories, the two with the white spots who were not behaving normally.

One of them died about an hour ago. The original photo white spot one still lives, in the quarantine tank. The 5 cories in the main tank seem to be all right.

I think that the White Fin Tetras literally bullied my cories to death (and a few of them contracted bacterial infections as a secondary effect of the stress)

Thank you, if you read my novel

Back
Top Bottom