Sorry-looking Endler!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

selhurst sound

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. After some advice with regards to a sorry-looking Endler in my tank.

The last couple of days he's been either hanging around on the bottom of the tank or sitting in the 0.5cm of water on top of the filter! He doesn't appear to have any visual signs of anything wrong with him other them seeming a bit faded compared with the other Endlers in the tank. He also hasn't shown much of an appetite in the last 48 hours.

About a week ago I lost a male guppy who seemed to endure similar symptoms.

I have a 150L Fluval tank, just over 6 months old. The Endlers have been with me from the start. Running a Fluval U3 filter with sponge, wool & ceramic media. Water readings today (API liquid test) were:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 (my tap water is also just below 40)
pH 7.4-7.6

I know the Nitrate is a bit on the high side but I'm sure I read somewhere that this level should be ok (can't remember where I saw it though!)

I do a weekly 25% water change & gravel vac. Last change was yesterday. There are also live plants - I'd probably call it 'medium-planted'. Temp is 25C. Feeding is twice a day, a mix of flake & frozen food.

Other tank inhabitants:

5 x Endlers
5 x Male Guppies
3 x Salt & Pepper Corys
3 x Platys
1 x Dwarf Gourami
1 x Ruby Shark
2 x Assassin Snails
5 x Amano Shrimp

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's wrong with the little guy, and a tad concerned that this has followed quickly after the loss of the Guppy. The other half is convinced the entire tank is going down one by one!

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Not sure but I think that level of nitrate can indeed harm fish over time. Could you grow some plants to help control it? Or possibly use another water source? Good luck.

How many gallons is your tank?

150L = 39.6G

Plants or RO water can help to lower that. Also there are some stones, and this - Nitra-Zorb Aquarium Nitrate Filter Media API 3.7oz which help with Nitrates. You can add a bigger filter/ more media for better BB colony.

Keep feeding in check too.

Thanks all for the responses. Running a Fluval U3 internal filter with sponge, wool & ceramic media.

Having done a bit more online digging, I've found that its quite common in the South East of England for tap water to contain around 40ppm nitrates! Plenty of people saying they've used it for years without any water quality problems. You just use that level as your new zero.

Doesn't help me much though! The poor Endler's not looking any happier!

Back
Top Bottom