Spiny Eel Death - Who can tell me why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hydra70

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my post in the Getting Started forum, and seen everything I've done wrong starting off, and what I've done to fix it all.

I started a tank uncycled (amazing the things you learn after the fact). I overcrowded the tank, read that other post to see how it happened.

I now have the following tank:
20g
3 dwarf african frogs
11 ghost shrimp
6 dwarf sucker cats
7 corys
4 dwarf plecos
5 guppies
1 albino tiger barb
and
2 spiny eels (it was 3 yesterday...), specifically, they are Macrognathus siamensis or Spot-Finned Spiny Eel or Peacock Eel, depending where I look them up.

The water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: slightly greater than 0.5ppm
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 80 (KH) ppm
Total Hardness: 100 (GH) ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Below is a picture of the ex-eel. Yesterday, there was no sign or symptom of unhealth. The two remaining eels appear fully healthy - well, unchanged from the day they were first put in my tank, anyway.

This morning, I saw "something" on the left upper gill plate, looked whitish and sort of fluffy, like white fuzzy mold on bread. Headed up to my computer to start looking for related articles here. 30 min later, eel's dead, and I couldn't find an answer.

Took these pictures (sorry about the right side being a bit out of focus, but you can still see the coloration). I circled the discolored area for easier identification, you can't see it as well defined as in real life.

Please help me save the remaining eels (and everybody else, too).

Thanks ahead for any answer,
Jim

Attachments

• mypooreel_930.jpg
    mypooreel_930.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 133
fungal infection most likely....like fin rot kinda.

sorry man. i'd be bummed out bad if my peacock died. he is my little buddy

Back
Top Bottom