Spot on Ram's Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsantucci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I was hoping my first post would have been about my new tank, but I'm posting about my concern first. Background, I have a 46 gallon bow front up now for a month. Fishless cycled prior to introducing fish using media from my other tank. ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is about 10ppm using API Master Test Kit. Stocking-wise I have 6 guppies, 6 zebra danios, 4 cories, 2 bamboo shrimp, and my two brand new bolivian rams that I got 3 days ago, male female pair I believe.

I haven't gawked much at them to let them settle in, but today I got close to the rams and the male has what I can only describe as a perfectly circular cloudy spot in his left eye, right in the middle. I have no idea what it may be, but I'm hoping someone else has an idea. I google eye issues and it doesn't appear to me eye flukes. Below is a picture, which I hope can be zoomed in here. If you do you can see it in his eye. Top fish in the picture is the one I'm talking about.

Side note, if someone can confirm my sexes, I believe top is a male and bottom female. Thanks!

DSC00854.JPG

I can't tell if the spot is on the surface or behind the eye, but if it's on the surface it could just be a minor-type injury. If it's behind the eye, it could be an intraocular emboli (gas bubble). Did this appear immediately after a water change?

David

I can't tell if the spot is on the surface or behind the eye, but if it's on the surface it could just be a minor-type injury. If it's behind the eye, it could be an intraocular emboli (gas bubble). Did this appear immediately after a water change?

David

Looking at the eye from the side where it's more translucent, it's definitely on the surface. I think it's just a minor scrape. It hasn't gotten any worse, but hasn't gotten better either. He's swimming and acting normal so I think we're all good.

Great, just make sure to keep the ammonia and nitrite at 0 and the nitrates less than 20ppm, preferable less than 10ppm, at least until everything clears up.

David

Great, just make sure to keep the ammonia and nitrite at 0 and the nitrates less than 20ppm, preferable less than 10ppm, at least until everything clears up.

David

Yep, already on it! I'm doing PWC's every other day of about 20% and the parameters of the water are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom