Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Spots in Glofish

I have a 3.5 gallon tank with a Gourami and a blue Glofish. I have had the Glofish for over a year. Many months ago, I noticed a tiny milky Coloring at the base of his bottom fins. I had him with a Betta that kept attacking him so I moved that guy to a different tank and got the Gourami as his tank mate so I assumed this was related to the harassment the Betta gave him. At that time I could tell if t was just the Coloring of his fins. Over the last 6 months, it has gotten bigger and is definitely raised and it has now spread to his back fins. He seems to be very hungry as he swarms when I put food in and won't let his friend get much. Also,his mouth constantly opens and closes (like a dog panting)but he does not go up to the surface for air. I do not see him rubbing himself on anything. Any idea what it could be and how to treat? So far the Gourami does not show signs of disease and they have been together at least 6 months. I have 3 tanks going right now - the other 2 are Betta's. I have had for almost 2 years. I do a 25% water change every weekend. This tank was my first and has been up and running for almost 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2326.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	298928  

Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That might be viral (lympho). First would be a check on water conditions as 3.5gal isn't very big (eg ammonia, ph, nitrates in particular).

Old 05-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

One possible scenario is either fungus or bacterial infection on the nipped fins. I have found keeping the water clean does wonders.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but Gourami is a large fish as an adult, mine is 6", a 3.5 is way too small a tank even if you have a dwarf Gourami.

Tags
fish, glofish, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com