Spots in Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chatra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 3.5 gallon tank with a Gourami and a blue Glofish. I have had the Glofish for over a year. Many months ago, I noticed a tiny milky Coloring at the base of his bottom fins. I had him with a Betta that kept attacking him so I moved that guy to a different tank and got the Gourami as his tank mate so I assumed this was related to the harassment the Betta gave him. At that time I could tell if t was just the Coloring of his fins. Over the last 6 months, it has gotten bigger and is definitely raised and it has now spread to his back fins. He seems to be very hungry as he swarms when I put food in and won't let his friend get much. Also,his mouth constantly opens and closes (like a dog panting)but he does not go up to the surface for air. I do not see him rubbing himself on anything. Any idea what it could be and how to treat? So far the Gourami does not show signs of disease and they have been together at least 6 months. I have 3 tanks going right now - the other 2 are Betta's. I have had for almost 2 years. I do a 25% water change every weekend. This tank was my first and has been up and running for almost 2 years.

Attachments

• IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 55
That might be viral (lympho). First would be a check on water conditions as 3.5gal isn't very big (eg ammonia, ph, nitrates in particular).

One possible scenario is either fungus or bacterial infection on the nipped fins. I have found keeping the water clean does wonders.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but Gourami is a large fish as an adult, mine is 6", a 3.5 is way too small a tank even if you have a dwarf Gourami.

Back
Top Bottom