Spots on goldfish head.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ljfdfireboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any ideas on what these spots might be on my sons fish. He has two fantail goldfish and only one has spots on its head. They have been there for a few weeks now. Fish appears to be acting normal.

Attachments

• image-2093982201.jpg
    image-2093982201.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1750103848.jpg
    image-1750103848.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 68
Can you please provide some more information so we can better help? Tank size? Stock? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What you are testing with (liquid or strips)? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? Diet? Thanks

Tank: 20 gal
Filtration: Fluval C2 & Aqua Clear 20 with surface skimmer attachment (carbon, ammonia remover, Bio media)
Stock: 2x fantail goldfish(had about 2yrs now) one 2in other 3in & 1x zebra snail
WC schedule: 30% / 6gal every 2 weeks
Food: Omega one small pellets & Omega one goldfish flakes

(tested 20 min ago with API freshwater liquid)
Temp: 78.2
PH:8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Thanks! I would increase their wcs for starters- atleast 50% 1-2x a week as two goldies in a 20g is a bit much. Add some veggies into their diet, too.

My guess is this girl is likely an oranda/oranda cross and is just starting wen development although I will admit, its a bit odd to see this all at once. Wen goldfish will develop white 'pimples' that are indicative of growth on their heads. You may some fuzz or strings come out of the 'pimples' which is perfectly normal. Theory has it that wen goldies actually have a very low grade infection during wen growth periods but its nothing to be concerned about. A nutritious diet, lots of veggies and pristine water are the best things for them (nitrates below 10ppm). If you notice anything else unusual or something with her changes, please let us know!

Thanks! I would increase their wcs for starters- atleast 50% 1-2x a week as two goldies in a 20g is a bit much. Add some veggies into their diet, too. My guess is this girl is likely an oranda/oranda cross and is just starting wen development although I will admit, its a bit odd to see this all at once. Wen goldfish will develop white 'pimples' that are indicative of growth on their heads. You may some fuzz or strings come out of the 'pimples' which is perfectly normal. Theory has it that wen goldies actually have a very low grade infection during wen growth periods but its nothing to be concerned about. A nutritious diet, lots of veggies and pristine water are the best things for them (nitrates below 10ppm). If you notice anything else unusual or something with her changes, please let us know!

I will admit that I am more of a saltwater person but my son loves his fish. As far as veggies do you have any recommendations? My SW tank I just give them seaweed. Will goldfish just bite of what they want or does it need to be broken up into tiny pieces? With those 2 fish what size tank would you recommend because I know my son couldn't part with one of his 2 fish. What's your thoughts on the zebra snail? Seems to keep tank nice and clean. Sorry for all the questions thanks again.

You can feed them some seaweed (if they will eat it) but just don't feed it daily. A goldfish's natural diet is almost 80% plant matter and algae so trying to mimic this in our tanks is a benefit to them. Pretty much any plain, cooked veggie is game though avoid canned stuff due to the high sodium content. Heavy starches (corn, potatoes, etc) and spicy stuff (onions, hot peppers) should be avoided. Deshelled mushed peas, broccoli florets, spinach, carrots, zucchini, asparagus tips, peppers, cauliflower, kale, turnip greens, etc are some good ones. Tough veggies such as carrots should be mushed up before feeding (I use a garlic press). Soft fruits can also be fed moderation (oranges, apples, berries, bananas, etc). Experiment and see what they like though it may take a few tries before they realize its something yummy to eat. Sticking cooked broccoli florets in a veggie or plastic potato chip bag clip is an easy one to start with- toss it in in the morning or evening before bed and see whats left the next day. I use bags of frozen micro veggies and will cook and stick in a Tupperware container as they will last most of the week in the fridge.

How long have you had these two? I would look into a 40g for them as they have the potential to grow big. If you are unsure of how big, check out some of my guys in the stickied 'Visual Perspective' thread at the top of the coldwater fish section. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Thanks for all the great info. My son has had these two fish for almost two years now. They started I. A 10gal when they were about 1/2" long then moved into the 20gal that they are in now. They have been in the 20g for a little over 6mo. now. I read some of your other posts on making your own gelled food for then too might give that a try too. The spots are not as prominent now they seen to come and go. But thanks again for the info it is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom