Spotted Catfish with White Skin Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornpipe2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a spotted catfish (I think...) in my 55-gallon tank. It used to wedge itself pretty tightly in a decorative house. At some point I believe the catfish damaged its skin on something pointy inside its home and got a couple of large scratches on its sides.

Since then I cleaned out the house and took off the pointy bits but the fish still hasn't recovered. I'd say it has been three weeks since it got the damage and now the skin is covered with white patches, he lounges around the filter and thermometer, etc. It's not always like this though - just a few days ago the whiteness totally disappeared leaving only damaged skin. The patches have since returned - larger today than usual. I'm thinking fungus or possibly bacterial infection since I know my water quality was pretty bad at the time I made those changes.

On to the questions:
1) Your diagnosis and treatment recommendations?
2) I have a planted / quarantine tank that's only 10 gallons which I'd like to use. My wife says that it's too small for the fish (which I'd estimate at about 3-4 inches long) but I think we should separate him to this tank so any medication will be more effective and he won't be bothered by other fish. (although the other fish really just leave him alone). Your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom