Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spray bar/ power head /bubble stones

I hate tubing.. Matter of fact i despise it lol especially when it pops free from the gravel when i gravel vac it, it's a pain to re hide, so I'm looking for a cleaner looking aeration, or am i not understanding the difference, for more attain you move the top of the water (correct?) does a spray bar or power head do the same tinny as air stones if so which would be the way to go, i don't think i can do a spray bar as i have a HOB aqua clear 110 so i guesses I'm stuck with air stones or a power head (if it does the same as air stones)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 11-06-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, if i were you, i would take that tank down while you treat the sick fish(s) and re set up the big one put a Undergravel filter with a couple airstones on that thing. Your gravel is very round and large, meaning lots of stuff gets trapped in it and rots, and its hard to vacum......oxygenating that stuff with UG filter setup would not only look cool, but turn all those big round rocks into bio rocks.
Just an idea, ofc

Old 11-06-2015, 02:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt68005 View Post
Honestly, if i were you, i would take that tank down while you treat the sick fish(s) and re set up the big one put a Undergravel filter with a couple airstones on that thing. Your gravel is very round and large, meaning lots of stuff gets trapped in it and rots, and its hard to vacum......oxygenating that stuff with UG filter setup would not only look cool, but turn all those big round rocks into bio rocks.
Just an idea, ofc
i will never use an undergravel filteras they trap ammonia and other stuff UG filters are the worst thing they ever made thats why you rarely find them anymore, i cannot take the tank down i have 24 fish being treated and i have no issue gravel when i gravel vac i do the vac/water change with my syphon and go back over it with my batter powered vac to make sure i get it all , every 2 weeks i turn the gravel. thanks for the advice but i am personally unfond of UG filters.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They dont trap ammonia, they oxygenate the gravel bed so it grows more BB. I have always liked them, if i had some large tanks and had gravel it all, I would use them again along with HOB filters.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt68005 View Post
They dont trap ammonia, they oxygenate the gravel bed so it grows more BB. I have always liked them, if i had some large tanks and had gravel it all, I would use them again along with HOB filters.

They do indeed trap food, build up ammonia/ nitrite pockets, they don't make them anymore if they do they are scarce newscaster not one single fish store i have been to about 20, as well as the hobbyist that i talk to have anything but horrible things to say about them, if i was going to switch out filters i would go with a canister
Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ugf's worked for decades. I'll agree they aren't as efficient as a canister but I wouldn't call them detrimental. Just a different approach.

Tags
bubble, power head, ray, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com