Stopping treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liberator123

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long should I keep treating my MM platy?
He has been in treatment tank, isolated in a 5.5g with just filtration (unless I add the medication), heater, and air for about two weeks now. Daily water change.
It all started when one day my platy's right fin was COMPLETELY removed off. I don't know the exact cause, but my bet is from my betta, who is by the way dead now :(. But anyway, I started noticing that he started to have a fungal infection on him. BIG White fluff started growing where his fin used to be. Also, part of the top of his body was starting to have white stuff. Not only that but I also guessed he has a parasite infection because he was pooing stringy white poo (and so was my other fish, so I also treated the whole tank with medication and coppersafe). I isolated him first in treatment tank. At first I tried to just use Aquarium salt, but that didn't seem to work at all after 2 days. I tried antifungal prmafix, it "removed" the cotton stuff for the first day, but it came back after 2 days. Then it started to get worse, white stuff appeared on his tail fin and he started getting finrot. He also started not moving alot hanging out in the top of the tank. So last resort I bought medication (2 of them, marycin plus and fungus cure). Ive treated him for about one week with the medication. Now hes more active, all the white stuff is gone, his appetite is better, but a good portion of his tail is gone... Im guessing hes in a healing phase now.
So hes been isolated for more than 2 weeks... when can I return him to the main tank? should he stay till his tail grows back (im guessing that will take a long while)? I kind of feel bad for him since nothing is in the tank and looks sort of lonely lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 64
follow the directions on the medicine. when prescribed treatment time is finished do a week observation. the tail will grow back eventually. check him out if hes eating and acting normal

Back
Top Bottom