Strange color changes in Tiger Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason the Lost

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 20 gallon community with one lonely tiger barb...I know thats not the best for him, but he's the last survivor of a school of 5 that had some parasite. In the next month or so I'm going to be getting a 45 gallon and plan on relocating him then and schooling him up again. The problem is when I get up in the morning and turn their light on (I always slowly light the room) to feed the fish (5 cories, 5 platies a swordtail and a snail) he seems really pale almost transparent....then after a minute or two he starts darkening up and after about tehn minutes hes a really dark healthy looking fish. Just seems strange...any thoughts? I'm sure hes not the most happy fish to be all alone and while I'm sure thats causing him some degree of stress he really isnt showing any odd behavior or swim patterns. All my levels are fine and I perform weekly 30-40% WC's

Completely normal. I believe it's a camoflague issue. He feels safer at night, and nobody can see him, no need to use his colors to protect him. When the lights come on, he is still chilling out. Soon though, he realizes the lights are on and that it's time to be on guard again. My clown loaches do the same thing, and alot of fish change color at night time.

As long as it's only happening in the mornings like that, I don't see any issue. 8)

if it jsut when the lights come on its completely normal they might even do it if the go into a decroation and stay there for awhile

Back
Top Bottom