Strange formation on Hoplosternum thoracatum belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jolita

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My beautiful Hoplosternum thoracatum has a strange white formation on its belly. He has it for a very long time (counting a couple of months) and it neither increases nor decreases, it looks like the formation of his own body and not some kind of external object (I may be wrong!). The fish feels well, eats very well, is very curious, cheeky and his behavior has not changed in any way that would indicate any problems. But that thing on his belly worries me very much. What it is, it is dangerous to him and other fish?

The tank is 200L.
All parameters are good. I change about 30% of the water once a week. I feed my fish twice a day, mostly they eat frozen food bought in a specialized aqua store. I use plant fertilizers daily. No angry or aggressive fish, lots of plants and places to hide.
He started to lay on the surfaces in a strange position. His head is on the ground, bus the back part is raised up approximately 45-50 angle. Is it normal? Please, help me, I'm really worried about him and don't know what actions I should take if any. And that thing on his belly is still present.

In the "dark" photo he is in his laying position with up back part and you can see better that thing on his belly as well.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 31
Bit hard to make out. Is it near anal vent or tube or anything. Second thought would be lympho?

Head standing could be bloat / too much feed (or viral / internal parasites).

Hello, Delapool,

Thank you for your response! Answering to your question, that white thing goes from his anus, as I could see.

Talking about weared position, he dives to the surface quite a lot in order to inhale air. The other Hoplo does that much less frequently.

Delapool, thank you very much! It really sounds like a prolapse. I'll do some research on it to find out what can I do to help him, if it's possible.

Back
Top Bottom