strange growth on female betta - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anna0219

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

So I've noticed over the past week or so that aquaneesha, one of my three female bettas, has developed a strange lump of some sort on what I would describe as her "chin."

I don't know if I could successfully photograph it, so I will just try to describe it. It's fairly large for the size of her body, but it doesn't seem to cover her gills or inhibit her breathing in any way.

About ten days ago, I changed out a little water and must have filled the level a bit too high for the divider, because my other female betta jumped into Aquaneesha's territory and they squabbled overnight. In the morning I found Piper, the one who jumped the divider, with pretty severely nipped and shredded fins. Aquaneesha apparently defended herself well and had no real nips or rips to her fins.

I'm wondering if this is an infection on an injury she may have received from that encounter. The bump began as a smaller lump that was the same color as the rest of her body, but now it is bigger and white-capped, almost like a giant pimple.

Her behavior doesn't seem particularly affected.

What medication would you recommend I treat it with if it is an infection or injury of some sort?

If it is a tumor, I guess there's not really anything I can do, right?

Thanks for your help. She is in a 5.5 gallon tank (with a filter and heater) with two other female bettas. I intended to have a peaceful sorrority but that didn't happen, so they now each are divided into a third of the tank. The other fish are very healthy and colorful, so if it's an illness it isn't spreading.

I will admit that I don't have a test-kit for the water levels, so I don't know what they are, but I do my best to keep up with regular gravel vacuums every couple weeks, and I change out smaller amounts of the water more frequently. I could get the levels tested when I go to get medication if necessary - would there be anything in particular that would be abnormal and associated with her condition?

Thanks for your help!

Anna

Update: After doing some research of my own, I'm thinking it might be a fungus related to an injury from the fight with the other betta.

But would this be possible if it began as a lump that seemed to be the same color as the fish? I guess that could have just been torn scales or something similar that was a wound, but it just looked like a lump to me?

That is the only thing making me hesitate, but I might try some medication for fungus treatment and see if it's not a secondary infection from some sort of wound...

How often do you do pwc's? IN a tank that is 5G or smaller, you need to do 2 pwc's a week, and over 5G's do one a week.
I really would get a liquid test kit, and you can get them at walmart.com for $18, and $.97 shipping. Or you can have them delievered right to the store.
Does the spot look cottony?

without a pic i can really say much.

the only time u will see a tumor on a betta is very low chance.
and if it was fungus, it wouldnt be the same color as the fish. fungus should start of looking white.

but a pic will be nice.

Back
Top Bottom