Strange red bumps on Synodontis eupterus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaedon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone ever seen this before? They are on a Synodontis eupterus. I don't know what they are or how to treat them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Zaedon

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 91
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 77
So, after much research and talking to several people about this they seemed to agree that it is tumors of some sort. I decided to try to treat with General Cure by API to see if maybe this was a parasite issue. I am in the second round of treatment as suggested by the manufacturer. The bumps have mostly dissapeared. I will post an updaetd pic as soon as he stops swimming all over the place.

Reactions: jlk
I have seen this in my clients tanks when I get new accounts on synodontis petricolas, and others of the same family. You are right they are ulcers and tumors. I've heard that API stuff works I've also have seen good results on them with mela/Pima fix combo. It's easier on them since they are scale-less fish and are more sensitive to medications than most other fish. It's usually brought on by bacterial infections sometimes a type of fungus that attacks their skin under their armor also. Keep water quality up to par as dirty tank conditions can cause this( not saying that you don't just a suggestion for others to see) and a wound that got infected could have brought this on also make sure they are getting enough high quality food so they have the essential vitamins to help fight of the disease in question. Hope lil guy recovers quickly:)

I have seen this in my clients tanks when I get new accounts on synodontis petricolas, and others of the same family. You are right they are ulcers and tumors. I've heard that API stuff works I've also have seen good results on them with mela/Pima fix combo. It's easier on them since they are scale-less fish and are more sensitive to medications than most other fish. It's usually brought on by bacterial infections sometimes a type of fungus that attacks their skin under their armor also. Keep water quality up to par as dirty tank conditions can cause this( not saying that you don't just a suggestion for others to see) and a wound that got infected could have brought this on also make sure they are getting enough high quality food so they have the essential vitamins to help fight of the disease in question. Hope lil guy recovers quickly:)

Water quality is great at this point (except for medication). I am doing a 30% pwc when I get home today as well to remove some of the medication as per the manufactures instructions as this is the last day of treatment. I am going to start a mela/pima treatment as well to ensure there is no bacteria/fungus secondary infections. Still trying to get an updated photo of this fish as he looks much better.

Zaedon said:
Water quality is great at this point (except for medication). I am doing a 30% pwc when I get home today as well to remove some of the medication as per the manufactures instructions as this is the last day of treatment. I am going to start a mela/pima treatment as well to ensure there is no bacteria/fungus secondary infections. Still trying to get an updated photo of this fish as he looks much better.

I'm glad to hear he is getting better I love a successful fish saving story it gets hard watching our fish die, I'm glad to see your care for the lil guy is working out:)

Thanks!!! Since the day he arrived I have been searching for answers. When I couldn't get the answer I liked I decided to try something rather than watch him decline. Your post to this thread has confirmed my suspicions. Watching the bumps disappear and his activity going up has been great!

Updated picture of Synodontis eupterus

Here is a picture of this guy or gal after treatment with API General cure. I followed this treatment with Maracyn to ensure no secondary infections were present. Thanks to eveyone that chimed in with advice!!!

Attachments

• update.jpg
    update.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 63
Zaedon said:
Here is a picture of this guy or gal after treatment with API General cure. I followed this treatment with Maracyn to ensure no secondary infections were present. Thanks to eveyone that chimed in with advice!!!

Looking real good nice job!

Thanks!!! I ordered all of my fish from ThatPetPlace and was a bit upset that he came like that. At least he ended up in my aquarium where I was able to help him back to good health. I also watched as 4 Acei died apparently from nothing as all the other fish thrived. Looked like weak stock or something. ThatPetPlace refunded the cost of the dead fish and the Syno. However, I prefer healthy fish over refunds.

Back
Top Bottom