Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Strange spots on buenos ares tetra

Hi, my tank has been somewhat basic, after a water change / bottom vacuming and replacing the water with distilled water, the water seemed to actually get more basic, im assuming this is an ammonia boom, so i got ammo chips today, along with stress coat, stress zyme, and ph-down. the tertra has strange bubble like spots on him, me and my friend assume its from the ammonia and hes sensitive, but could you send me pictures of ick or fungus? or help me figure it out, thanks

Old 06-17-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Don't add any more chemicals to that tank--they will do more harm than good.

What are your exact water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)?
Why are you using distilled water?

To see pics of ich, go to the Articles section and click on the FW ich article. There are no pics of fungus that I know of on this site.
Fungal and bacterial infections will tend to look fuzzy. Ich should not look fuzzy--it is more compact and circular.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have house water in the tank, when i changed 10 gallons out of it, i added distilled (ph balanced) water in hopes of lowering the ph... the ph seems to be at a mid 7 right now
1 fan dance goby, 1 drawf redtip gourami, 3 silver hatchet fish, 1 baby blue zebra cihlid, 3 Green Panchax killifish, 1 madagascar rainbow, 1 dwarf neon rainbow, 1 aquatic frog

90 Gallon
1 CAE, 1 giant panda cory,2 green spotted cory,
2 giant danio. 1 large tinfoil barb, 1 rosy barb, 1 marbled goby,
1 purple spotted gudgeon, 1 jade goby, 1 red dwarf gouromi, 2 clown loaches,4 tiger barbs, 5 weather loaches, 3 blood parrots,1 firemouth cichlid, 1 goldfish, 1 Electric yellow cichlid, 1 Auratus cichlid, 1 Zebra Tilapia cichlid,
1 Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid, 1 purple peacock cichlid, 2 striped barbs, 1 figure 8 puffer, 1 electric catfish, 1 african butterfly fish
kukerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
ive heard distiled water is bad and your suppose to use RO water. (reverse osmosis). i forgot what it is but somethings taken out or put in that makes distilled water bad for the tank.

at most grocery store/walmart they sell a gallon of it for 64 cents or something and like 29 cents to fill the bottle up again
Old 06-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A pH of 7.5 is fine for many fish. Unless you are trying to breed them, fish are vary adaptable and will survive at that pH. I did a quick search on Buenos Aires Tetra and they prefer pH between 5.8 and 8.5. Your fish are fine in your water. I know you have multiple species in your tank, look up the needs for all of them and I believe you will discover that a pH of 7.5 is just fine.
How big is the tank?
Can you tell if it is ich or something else?

Old 06-17-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Menagerie, where is your list of disease links?
Here's one I often use - it has some halfway decent pictures.

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

From what you described, kukerdan, it could be ich, body fungus, or fluid filled cysts. See if any of the pics match your fish's condition. It could also be air bubbles offgassing on the fish's scales. This happens often to my fish after I do a water change - it's harmless and only lasts a few hours or less.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well, now that you mention it QTOFFER, my list is right here:
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm
http://www.aqualink.com/disease/sdisease.html#ich
http://fish.mongabay.com/diseases.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AqBizSubW.../fishdisho.htm
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/health.htm

Old 06-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

it is a 90 gallon tank

1 fan dance goby, 1 drawf redtip gourami, 3 silver hatchet fish, 1 baby blue zebra cihlid, 3 Green Panchax killifish, 1 madagascar rainbow, 1 dwarf neon rainbow, 1 aquatic frog

90 Gallon
1 CAE, 1 giant panda cory,2 green spotted cory,
2 giant danio. 1 large tinfoil barb, 1 rosy barb, 1 marbled goby,
1 purple spotted gudgeon, 1 jade goby, 1 red dwarf gouromi, 2 clown loaches,4 tiger barbs, 5 weather loaches, 3 blood parrots,1 firemouth cichlid, 1 goldfish, 1 Electric yellow cichlid, 1 Auratus cichlid, 1 Zebra Tilapia cichlid,
1 Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid, 1 purple peacock cichlid, 2 striped barbs, 1 figure 8 puffer, 1 electric catfish, 1 african butterfly fish
kukerdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
strange, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com