strange tetra symptoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two different tetra situations:
a) I have had a neon tetra for about 10 months that has had fluctuating severity of symptoms - he has whitish patches under the skin and strange swellings; I've treated a few times with parasite guard and he got a bit better but it's back. He's had this for months though...could it just be "old age?" He still eats and is probably the most sprightly and daring of all the tetras I have.
b) One of my glolights looks fat. Not bloated all over, and not swelling scales like in dropsy, just fat. It looks like she's "pregnant". She still eats, but I noticed that today she just kept eating and then the food would pop out of her mouth, but I think she kept some down.

I just recently finished dosing them with parasite guard, and I fed them pepso food (which they hated and wouldn't eat!) because of the neon.

Here are my tank specs:
1. Tank parameters are good: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 12 or so nitrate
2. 10 gal tank, hob filter, carbon is old, set up since Oct. 2004
3. 25% water change and gravel vac yesterday
4. I do this about 2x a week (the lady at the lfs said that I'm doing it too much and need to let stuff sit for a bit)
5. Yesterday I added some dark gravel and some new live plants - the fish have been very skittish lately and the dark gravel is supposed to relax them; the plants are for added cover
6. I feed the fish daily with a tropical flake, and about once a week they get frozen bloodworms

Sorry this post is so long...thanks in advance for your help!

Your glolight may be laiden with eggs but i wouldnt hope for any fry, they normally scatter the eggs around or just eat them. I dont think its old age personally but probably some fungus and maybe a few wounds(the swellings). Treat the fish with an antibacterial remedy such as Melafix. Since the neon eats, its obviously not stressed and doesnt seem to be that bothered by its strange appearances!

I would only feed your fish once every 2days as it cuts down uneaten food and stops water problems. Its good they get bloodworm, they love it i bet :wink:

Back
Top Bottom