Strange white strings on fins and side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilMar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just gone through the heat temperature treatment for ick (2 weeks), only lost 1 platy :( , and all seems to be fine in the ick department. Except that now I have noticed a white string on the side of my Red Wag female platy, and am starting to see the same on 1 sword tail female and 1 black molly male, but his is around his fin. I can't seem to find anything in reference to this. All water test are right on. Anybody got any ideas? :?

Yep! That's it. I first saw it on one platy when I got it from the lfs, but I paid it no mind, because I thought it was a small coloration on the fin. This is due to my lack of knowledge.

As for the picture, I can't get the little guys to pose for me :) But I will give it a try.

What is the best solution for this. The last time I medicated, I blew out my bio system, and had a heck of a time getting it back. I'm willing to get a medication tank, but is this a problem that is living in my main tank?

If its an external parasite (sounds like it is), you can try Jungle Parasite Clear. They're the fizzy tabs and very easy to use.

Important note, though--make certain you have the formula that contains praziquantel and metronidazole. This formula will not harm your bio-filter. There is an older formula that contains far more harsh chemicals that WILL kill your bio-filter, and unfortunately I have seen a lot of stock of the old formula still in stores.

Just read the ingredients and check more than one box because the package looks the same.

Thanks, Will go to the lfs today and give it a try. I don't want to go through the bio thing again. Being new to this, sometimes I feel I need to cover myself in a stress preventer :!: It will be nice when I can just sit back and enjoy.

Will let you know how it goes.

Do I need to worry about the temperature of the water and the Jungle Parasite Clear? I haven't come down from the Ick temperature solution yet. I was going to give it another week.

Just got the Parasite Clear, and I must say, it is easy to use.....I hope this takes care of my problem :) . The sad thing, is that the lfs insisted that his more expensive product was better, and would not foul up the bio filter.....but when I read the label it said "might harm some bio organisms".

I have to say, this is the best site for anything Aquarium related :!: Thanks to all involved :D

You might want to keep an eye on your parameters just in case.

Pretty much anything that's gonna act as a pesticide in your tank has the potential to kill of anything alive (including fish!!)...the general thought is that certain chemicals or concentrations will only affect the "bad" critters...but we should still be careful anytime we throw the stuff in.

good luck!

Thanks, I check with regularity. After getting into this hobby, I've learned to sit back and wait, and keep checking parameters.

I really wonder how I got myself into this mess. Everyone I talk to are surprised that I have this problem with Platy's and Mollies. I wonder if I didn't help it to really take hold by upping the temperature to eradicate the ick. It has just about attacked every fish I have except the cory's and the pleco....they seem fine.

I'll keep posting,

Thanks

I have to admit, its interesting to see its avoiding the scaless fish (the corys an plec), yet they've made themselves at home on the scaled fish. I have no personal experience with em; I wonder if this is usual?

The temps wouldn't have made a diff; one of the fish brought them nasty buggers in, and the suppression of the immune system (from the ich) likely gave the parasites a chance to take hold. I forget; did you add anyone new to the tank?

LOL and I promise; you WILL be able to sit back soon and just take in the tank view :)

You promise :!:

Yes, I did bring in one red wag female, three weeks ago before the ick problem and she had that strange coloration on the fin that I mentioned earlier in the post. My ignorance at the time let me pay it no mind. I'm pretty sure she's the culprit.

I'm learning, and have a no quitting allowed attitude. My wifes sorry she mentioned this hobby to me (it's all her fault :lol: ). And my dogs hate me :(

All in all, it's fun, they do bring peace of mind in between the stress. and you guys are a great help :)

Yep :) I promise.

We all have growing pains (or rather, the poor fish do LOL) during the initial stages of this obsession..erm..hobby. But once the initial hurdles are jumped, and the expected unexpected dealt with, its usually MUCH smoother sailing, Plus, when probs rear their head again (and they will; we're talking a dynamic system here) you'll be much better equipped to deal with them :)

Yeah, was most likely that red wag that brought the infestation. If I haven't harassed you about this yet, let me harass you now; get a QT tank LOL Trust me, if you don't have one its the most important part of aquarium care. Means not bringing disease directly into the main tank (by QT new fish for a period of time and observing them for probs) and if one needs to treat a specific fish, its a place to treat them without mucking up the nitrifying bacteria in the main tank. For example, I picked up a lovely angelfish from a friend today. When we looked in the tank to net him out, we noticed one of the other fish in there had ich. I still took the angel, but I always QT my fish. So hes in the QT tank, and I've upped the temps to 88F to kill any ich parasites that might have come along with him. This way, after 2 weeks in the QT, if he remains healthy I'll be able to add him to the main crew without being too paranoid.

Thanks,

That was going to be my next question, what size QT tank is best. And of course I'm going to need filtration and all that. Can you suggest a small system....I was thinking 10gal or 5gal, is that to big or just right. What about gravel, what is best for a QT tank? and last but not least, do you set it up just like any other tank with plants and stuff or do you just leave it plain?

Sorry for all the questions. Maybe I can do this right the first time :?

I was told that you really had to pull the worms off the fish, and medicate with a dab of medication then slime. I freaked out when I was told this, but I did do that last night to the male black molly, I pulled 4 off of him, and this morning he's like a new fish :D These worms sure look strange under magnification. I guess I will take one fish a day and perform the same surgery, hopefull they will all survive. :)

Oh wow! You checked the worms out under magnification? LOL My kinda guy! However, I do suggest doing as many fish a day as you can; the more you pull out, the less the worms have a chance to multiply. Plus, lookit how happy the Molly is :)

As for a QT tank, Wallymart sells a basic 10g for around $10. Grab a cheap filter; if you get a HOB it will provide enough surface agitation, if you buy a intank filter (like a fluval) you'll need an air pump and airstone to provide some surface agitation (its the surface agitation that provides the O2 in the water, not the bubbles that come up from the airstone). A heater is needed as well. Thats it. No gravel, no decor unless you buy fish that need a hiding place like loaches. Then add a plastic plant or a ceramic cave (both are easy to sterilise). The less in the tank, the easier it is to sterilise after if you are using the tank for treating illness, and since the fish will only be in there for a short period of time (as compared to living thier lives out in the main tank), no need to decorate it.

Now some folks leave it up all the time with a coupla small fish in it to keep it cycled. Personally I don't. I figure, if I need to treat disease, I'm going to have to sterilise the tank after anyway; plus one needs to then house the fish in the QT if a sick fish is added. I keep mine in the closet till I need it. If I need it to QT a new fish (like I am right now). I keep some extra filter media in the main tank, and use it to instantly cycle the QT by putting it in the QT filter. I generally don't do that with a sick fish tho; most meds kill off the nitrifying bacteria and I'd have to start from scratch anyway.

And no apologies necessary :) Its why we're here! Keep the questions comin.

Thanks for the info.

The reason I was thinking a fish a day, was I thought the Jungle Parasite Clear would also remove them. I have heard two different views in this area. The box claims to rid them from the fish and tank. The question is: how long does it take. I also heard that the tail falls off and the worm dies, but the head remains inside the fish, and causes other problems. As usual, I'm at a loss, so I figured I'd give both methods a chance. I have an e-mail into the manufacturer of the Med, and am awaiting a reply. As for the Jungle Parasite Clear all water levels are still in PERFECT range. So I guess what they say on the box is true :D

As for the magnification, I'm trying to rig a camera to my device and if I get a clear enough picture I'll post it :)

The QT tank sounds fine, thats what I'll do, use it when it's called for, with as little in it as possible.

Thanks again :D

Info:

Pulled 6 worms off 3 fish today, and all seems well. the one worm on the red wag was quite large, and the head was like something out of a scary movie. Some blood, but the red wag is definitely happier now. All worms seem to be gone now. If the medication does it's job, I might finally have a balanced tank and no present worries. 8) My little guys a gals are quite lively.

Thanks again!

Good job PhilMar! I am afraid that if I were ever faced with the same problem, I'd be too squeemish to get the job done... Eek! 8O I guess you do what you have to do though...

Monday Morning and all is well.

This worm thing is quit strange, seeing as how they just showed up so quickly. I will have to do a little research on this. Specialy when one puts their hand in the tank. I think maybe I should get a pair of gloves. I now see the importance in washing after each dip in the tank.

Eek! is right 8O

Back
Top Bottom