Stress coat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed this morning that one of my cories is completely missing his back tail and fin. It nearly looks like he is chopped in half. The end looks kind of feathery like it's growing back already. He is breathing really fast and stressed out but he was also eating and swimming around. I turned off the lights to let him rest and brought some stress coat, I put 40 mls for my 100 L is that too much? It says add 5 mls for every 38 L and double the amount for damaged fins

Well, Stress coat is for fish with scales, and catfish have no scales so.....
He will have some moist skin that is for sure!

Best thing for healing damaged fish is fresh clean water. Start with a daily 50% water change the first week, every other day the second week.

When dealing with situations such as this I like to wait 10 minutes before adding dechlorinator. The slight amount of disinfectants added to tap water act as a topical antiseptic, helping to prevent infection. These disinfectants are in no way strong enough to kill a comparatively huge colony of nitrifying bacteria, they are there to keep any slight bacterial intrusions into the supply system from making humans ill.

Best thing for healing damaged fish is fresh clean water. Start with a daily 50% water change the first week, every other day the second week.

When dealing with situations such as this I like to wait 10 minutes before adding dechlorinator. The slight amount of disinfectants added to tap water act as a topical antiseptic, helping to prevent infection. These disinfectants are in no way strong enough to kill a comparatively huge colony of nitrifying bacteria, they are there to keep any slight bacterial intrusions into the supply system from making humans ill.

Hello! thanks for your reply.

So if i am correct you are stating that I add chlorinated water to my tank for 10 minutes? wont that harm my fish?

When I was a teenager I had two 2ft fish tanks with 6 goldfish in each never used any water conditioner for the first several years so you should be alright for 10mins. I didn't have a clue at that age how to properly take care of fish. Not only were they completely over stocked I did 100% water changes every week.!!!!!! Had them all for 6years they were still going strong when I left them with my landlord when I moved at 19.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello! thanks for your reply.

So if i am correct you are stating that I add chlorinated water to my tank for 10 minutes? wont that harm my fish?

Nope, won't hurt them, it acts as a topical antiseptic, helps keep infection away. My fish get a few to several minutes of it with every water change due to my setup.

Melafix is supposed to be good for fish with fin/skin injuries too. I can't really attest to it firsthand yet tho... has anyone else tried it?

Melafix works like a natural antiseptic. Its good cause aids healing and helps prevent bacterial infections

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom