Stress Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am having some problems with my fish where I work (Wal-Mart). With the betta fish, everytime I clean their water, about every 3 days on average, they get sick. Usually the fish don't ever last on the shelf for three days before they are sold, but the ones that do usually end up getting sick. I change them with tropical tank water, just put the betta in a net and fill the cup back up from the tank.

My problem is that everytime I do, the betta develops this fungus on it, that usually ends up killing some of them. The tank I get it from isn't sick, none of the tropical fish there have fungus or any other type of illness for that matter. So my question I guess is, can the betta develop a fungus just from stress? I ask because it seems that sometimes, they seem to cure themselves.

So I am stuck...I can't leave their cups all dirty and icky, but when I change them, I have trouble keeping them healthy... Does anybody else have this problem if you work at a pet store? Thanks

Try not changing the entire water cup. A sudden change in water quality, temp, etc outs a LOT of stress on fish. Use a mini-siphon or piece of silicon tubing to get the waste out of the bottom and only drain 1/2 the water at a time. Most likely, its stress. Disease may be in the tropical tanks, even though the fish aren't showing signs of infection. The stress factor after being netted can just set them off and make them EXTREMELY vulnerable to disease (especially ich) How long do you have them out of water in a net when you change the water?

I usually only keep them out of water for maybe....5 seconds. Enough time for me to walk from the sink where the net is to the tank next to it. We don't have a micro siphon that we use yet, but I can just store use some tubing off of the shelf. They come shipped in this blue liquid..Supposed to keep ammonia levels from getting toxic or something like that, so that they can stay in the cups for a while. I just can't do that though, letting them stay in the same water for a week or more! The bad thing is that, since I am dept. manager, I get all the heat from angry customers!
Thanks for your reply, I'm trying to figure out something!

I don't work at a shop, but have been told the blue liquid is a relaxant for the fish during transport. I've seen them use a cart next to a tank, pour the fish and water into a net (gently) that's over a bucket. Water goes in the bucket, they scoop up tank water and put the betta into the cup. Takes about 5 seconds. Last thing is they change water every other day. If you're using the same water from the same tank, it shouldn't shock them as long as the tank water is at the right parameters and consistent. Double check the parameters from the tank you're using for the water replacement and see if there's an issue there.

One other idea is that the fish could already be sick when they arrive from the distributor, but don't show the fungus for a couple of days. ? You might give them a call and explain the situation. Perhaps they could also give some tips.

Thanks for your reply. That is what I do basically. Pour the betta and water into a net, get water from the tank, and put the betta back in. I haven't thought about testing the betta water when they arrive. I'll do that when I go back to work Monday, and talk to the guy that delivers the fish Wed.
Also, the fish don't seem to be sick when I get them every week, but only after I change their water. I am lost, but I'll keep treating them!

Thanks again, 'preciate it!

Getting netted for any length of time is extremely stressful to fish. In water, fish are pretty much weightless, the instant a fish leaves water, gravity takes over the fish is not prepared to deal with it. More than a few people around here have have otherwise healthy fish get sick after being netted and moved around from tank to tank.

Back
Top Bottom