stressed guppy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmac1878

Aquarium Advice Activist
can anyone tell me the signs for a stressed guppy? i bought 6 yesterday, one died overnight(probably before i went to bed due to a short head count). tonight, i've noticed one just hanging around the top, not moving much, almost like he is sleeping. water quality is good. i'd done a pwc of about 30% a few hours before introducing the new fish. ammonia and nitrites were 0 ppm and the nitrates were about 15ppm. temp 25C. there are no physical signs of trauma apart from the slightly ragedy tails which i'm putting down to the nipping of each other in an over crowded tank(in the shop where i bought them that is). even then, in the 24hrs i've had them, that is shownig signs of improvement. when i introduced them into the tank, the white clouds that i have did give a bit of a chase, which gave me a bit of a concern, but after a short while, things settled down and everyone just got on with their own thing. :?: :?: :?:

thanks

How did you acclimate them to the tank? It's common for fish to be skiddish and a bit faded right after adding them to a new tank.

As for signs of stress, it'd likely have faded color, be inactive, hang towards the top of the tank, breathe heavily, and not react to food well.

i did acclimatise them. put the bag in the tank after 15 mins added some tank water left it for another 10 mins then in they went. he seems alright today, he's back hiding behind a plant in the corner. he only seems to come out from there when it's feeding time. he's probably just a bit shy.

actually i've lost the 'shy' one, and i don't mean died. i just can't see him anywhere. i've done several head counts, looked all through the tank, in the plants and in the filter. nowhere. vanished.

i haven't got a scooby doo.

there are no physical signs of trauma apart from the slightly ragedy tails which i'm putting down to the nipping of each other in an over crowded tank(in the shop where i bought them that is).
You may have ended up with guppies that were not well from the start.
actually i've lost the 'shy' one, and i don't mean died. i just can't see him anywhere. i've done several head counts, looked all through the tank, in the plants and in the filter. nowhere. vanished.
Probably eaten; a fish that size can disappear overnight. Any fish is opportunistic and will eat a fallen tank mate if it is not removed quickly enough.
How large is the tank and how many total fish are in there?

Back
Top Bottom