Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

stressed guppy???

can anyone tell me the signs for a stressed guppy? i bought 6 yesterday, one died overnight(probably before i went to bed due to a short head count). tonight, i've noticed one just hanging around the top, not moving much, almost like he is sleeping. water quality is good. i'd done a pwc of about 30% a few hours before introducing the new fish. ammonia and nitrites were 0 ppm and the nitrates were about 15ppm. temp 25C. there are no physical signs of trauma apart from the slightly ragedy tails which i'm putting down to the nipping of each other in an over crowded tank(in the shop where i bought them that is). even then, in the 24hrs i've had them, that is shownig signs of improvement. when i introduced them into the tank, the white clouds that i have did give a bit of a chase, which gave me a bit of a concern, but after a short while, things settled down and everyone just got on with their own thing.

thanks

Old 04-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
How did you acclimate them to the tank? It's common for fish to be skiddish and a bit faded right after adding them to a new tank.

As for signs of stress, it'd likely have faded color, be inactive, hang towards the top of the tank, breathe heavily, and not react to food well.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i did acclimatise them. put the bag in the tank after 15 mins added some tank water left it for another 10 mins then in they went. he seems alright today, he's back hiding behind a plant in the corner. he only seems to come out from there when it's feeding time. he's probably just a bit shy.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

actually i've lost the 'shy' one, and i don't mean died. i just can't see him anywhere. i've done several head counts, looked all through the tank, in the plants and in the filter. nowhere. vanished.

i haven't got a scooby doo.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
there are no physical signs of trauma apart from the slightly ragedy tails which i'm putting down to the nipping of each other in an over crowded tank(in the shop where i bought them that is).
You may have ended up with guppies that were not well from the start.
Quote:
actually i've lost the 'shy' one, and i don't mean died. i just can't see him anywhere. i've done several head counts, looked all through the tank, in the plants and in the filter. nowhere. vanished.
Probably eaten; a fish that size can disappear overnight. Any fish is opportunistic and will eat a fallen tank mate if it is not removed quickly enough.
How large is the tank and how many total fish are in there?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guppy, stress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com