Stubbornly sick Black Moor Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rakel143

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:confused: hi, I'm hoping to find someone out there who might have any insight that would help me to help my 2 black moor goldfish. I've had them nearly 3 years now,.. over the past 12 to 18 months, I've tried all of the below (not at the same time), along with water changes at times 15%-20% daily, to 25%-50% every few days..... Despite seeming to get better many times, nothing got them completely better, and slowly got worse:

Seachem SulfaPlex, Hikari Usa AHK73254 Prazipro, New Life Spectrum Hex Shield 3mm Sinking Pet Food, Seachem ParaGuard, Fritz Aquatics Mardel Maracyn Oxy Treats, Peabody's Medicated Flakes – The Medicine Cabinet (All 5 types), SEACHEM LABORATORIES INC METROPLEX,
Focus, Kanaplex, SunGrow Anti-bacterial Fish Remedy, Fritz Aquatics Mardel Parashield Treats, Fritz Aquatics Mardel Maracyn 2 Treats, Fritz Aquatics Mardel Maracyn 2 Treats, Fritz Aquatics Mardel Maracyn Oxy Treats, API Aquarium Salt, API Melafix Antibacterial Fish Remedy, 100% pure tea tree oil, Tetra Lifeguard All-In-One Freshwater Aquarium Treatment, T.C. Tetracycline Freshwater Bacterial Fish Medication, API Furan 2.... I think I've listed everything.... My poor fishies, remarkably they're still with me, I'm not sure how, but as long as they're alive, I can't/won't stop trying to help u get a them well again...

What size tank?

Whats the tank temp (Coldwater fish)

What are the water parameters?

What are their symptoms?

Are they eating? If not get some garlic guard and presoak the pellets. (can make your own garlic juice) as eating is very important to a fish recovering.

Filtration?

What does their poop look like?

When fish are sick the first thing is to test the water for ammonia/nitrite/pH nitrate(the lesser to worry about but high nitrate levels do weaken the immune system) nitrates don't kill fish its the weakening of the immune system where they can't fight off sickness that does.

Forgot to ask, posting a new comment in case you read my previous post and didn't answer, what water conditioner do you use, do you know you can over clean a tank? meaning you clean it so much you kill your beneficial bacteria, get a liquid test kit by api called "master liquid freshwater test kit" and post your water parameters

That's a crap load of meds, sometimes you just have to do the basics, maintaining water quality, maybe a pinch if non iodized salt, or aquarium salt and let mother nature do her thing, with that much meds I'm surprised the meds themselves didn't kill them.

Hi thank you for your reply, I hope you get this, my tank is a 30 gallon, I am glad u mentioned about it being possible to over clean a tank, Ive definitely slowed down the past week and a half or two weeks, I haven't been giving any medicine to my fish... I test the water everyday, as long as there's nothing that needs to be adjusted, I have been leaving the water a lone

They're symptoms are laying around at the bottom of the tank lethargic and listless most of the time, they have not lost their appetites though, so if my boyfriend or I walk by their tank a few times or if one of us is in the general area near the fishtank, they start dancing all around as if they are famished!

Both of those conditions stem from water conditions followed by secondary infections.

With all those meds there immune system must be about zero and I would guess there insides can not look good with that much medication.

how much food were you feeding them?

I find the biggest problem with tanked goldfish is over feeding.

Goldfish always look hungry. I would try parboiled greens on them.

As far as medication if it was me I would go with marine salt.

I don't think the fish system will tolerate much more medication before there systems shut down.

This is just my own opinion.

Back
Top Bottom