Stupid Ich Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
If Ich can not survive temps about 85 degrees then why not try and maintain your temp at 85.5?

I've been battling Ich for almost 2 weeks and all signs of it are gone I used high temps to battle my ich. My fish seem to be doing fine at 85-86 so why should I not just leave the temp there?

Thanks for the help.

The reason you don't want to leave it that high is that fish are cold blooded creatures. Your fish will metabolize faster, become more aggressive and age much faster than they normally would. Once the three week or so treatment period is over, turn the temperature back down. Your tank will be ich free. Just quaratine any new additions and should not have to worry about it again.

Good answer. To be added, very warm water also holds less oxygen. As well, fish are naturally in water below 80 degrees. They can adapt, but in the long run, it's just not as good as providing it the environment it was meant to live in. 8)

Both are very good answers I just want to add that fish don't look as healthy in higher temperatures. They are more colorful in lower temps.

Back
Top Bottom