Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sucker fish problems

I'm in desperate need of help! I have a 20 gallon tank with a whisper ex30 filter and I'm feeding my fish waddled advanced nut. Tropical flakes. I have 6 guppies in with my sucker fish and today when I came home he was upside down on the bottom of the tank. I thought he was dead but when I put my net down to catch him he started moving but fell back down to the bottom. I thought he was okay until he started swimming irratically around the tank, hit the side of the tank, and fell back down on his back.

I'm working on quarantining him right now, and I just got him yesterday from petco so I'm hoping he didn't bring anything into my tank. He seemed healthy and strong when I picked him out but now he is having problems. He's laying on his back, but still breathing. Any kind of meds I should get for him? Anyone have this experience before? All other fish I've had for a couple months and are healthy and expressive. My dad took my testing kit so Im not sure what the levels are right now but I tested it 3 days ago and everything was normal.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Species?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bristlenose pleco
Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds like an infection, are his eyes cloudy? I'm sorry to say, but in my experience, once they get sick, its almost impossible to help them.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

His eyes aren't cloudy. I put him by himself in another tank and he seems to be okay for now. When I netted him he just laid there but he's belly down right now looking normal.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not saying he is fine, but one of my old Plecos used to lay on his back all the time. It lived for years after that.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I hope he is. I wouldn't be too worried if he acted a little more lively when I checked him
Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcuttingirl View Post
I hope he is. I wouldn't be too worried if he acted a little more lively when I checked him
Pleco's are most active at night. Thats the best time to feed them too. Throw whatever you feed him in the tank at night, and turn the lights off.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com