Sucker fish problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilcuttingirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in desperate need of help! I have a 20 gallon tank with a whisper ex30 filter and I'm feeding my fish waddled advanced nut. Tropical flakes. I have 6 guppies in with my sucker fish and today when I came home he was upside down on the bottom of the tank. I thought he was dead but when I put my net down to catch him he started moving but fell back down to the bottom. I thought he was okay until he started swimming irratically around the tank, hit the side of the tank, and fell back down on his back.

I'm working on quarantining him right now, and I just got him yesterday from petco so I'm hoping he didn't bring anything into my tank. He seemed healthy and strong when I picked him out but now he is having problems. He's laying on his back, but still breathing. Any kind of meds I should get for him? Anyone have this experience before? All other fish I've had for a couple months and are healthy and expressive. My dad took my testing kit so Im not sure what the levels are right now but I tested it 3 days ago and everything was normal.

Sounds like an infection, are his eyes cloudy? I'm sorry to say, but in my experience, once they get sick, its almost impossible to help them.

His eyes aren't cloudy. I put him by himself in another tank and he seems to be okay for now. When I netted him he just laid there but he's belly down right now looking normal.

I'm not saying he is fine, but one of my old Plecos used to lay on his back all the time. It lived for years after that.

I hope he is. I wouldn't be too worried if he acted a little more lively when I checked him

I hope he is. I wouldn't be too worried if he acted a little more lively when I checked him

Pleco's are most active at night. Thats the best time to feed them too. Throw whatever you feed him in the tank at night, and turn the lights off.

Back
Top Bottom