Sudden death of Rainbow Shark... please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

A sad post today, my juvenile rainbow shark suddenly turned up dead. ☹️

My water parameters and are good(detailed below) and my EBAs are looking good and healthy, thank god.

I have attached a picture for the purpose of diagnosing the cause of death and advice on prevention.

Thanks,
R

Parameters: 24• Celsius
Ph 7.6
HPH 7.4
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
30% water change weekly

Attachments

• E378D7CD-81AC-42DB-92B2-E2D3EA793F50.jpg
    E378D7CD-81AC-42DB-92B2-E2D3EA793F50.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 372
Oh my Do you know how long it’s been dead? Did you find it dead right away or was it a day or so?

Is it an albino rainbow shark?

Is it a glofish albino rainbow shark?

Do you know if that’s a big bruise on its belly?

Sorry slow in the head sometimes but can you remind me what an EBA is? I know I should know but forgot.
How big is your tank?

Are they’re any other bottom dwellers or some fish that may peck at the shark in the tank?

When you say juvenile how young do you mean ?like just got from store? Or like he’s less than 6 months old young?

These questions may not matter that much but every detail helps i think he looks a little bloated the big thing on his belly is hard to figure out if the death happens a while before the op noticed that may be the blood just rushing to one spot or another fish just pushed the carcass and it got bruised.

Oh my Do you know how long it’s been dead? Did you find it dead right away or was it a day or so? I did not see him alive or dead last night or this morning, he has a tendency to hid from time to time, I came home from work and he was dead. So there is a window of up to about 16hrs he could be dead for.

Is it an albino rainbow shark? Yes, Albino Rainbow

Is it a glofish albino rainbow shark?

Do you know if that’s a big bruise on its belly? It didn't look like a bruise but more of infection or infected area.

Sorry slow in the head sometimes but can you remind me what an EBA is? I know I should know but forgot. No problem, its Electric Blue Acara, 6 of them... Juvenile (about an inch and a half in size each)

How big is your tank? 350L, approx 90 Gallons.

Are there any other bottom dwellers or some fish that may peck at the shark in the tank? There is a common pleco but he tends to keep to himself but I suppose it is a possibility. As for the EBAs they are extremely peaceful and I would find it very unlikely they would attack

When you say juvenile how young do you mean ?like just got from store? Or like he’s less than 6 months old young? I bought him from the store roughly a month ago, when I bought him the shop keeper told me he had recently arrived (never mentioned an age)

These questions may not matter that much but every detail helps i think he looks a little bloated the big thing on his belly is hard to figure out if the death happens a while before the op noticed that maybe the blood just rushing to one spot or another fish just pushed the carcass and it got bruised. I appreciate your reply, thanks. I too felt he looked a touch bloated, the "thing" on his belly had a green tint to it which makes me fear it was an infection or fungus of a sort. I do not have the knowledge to determine this so I was hoping to get an experienced opinion

Replies in Blue

So it’s not a glofish albino rainbow shark?
And the reason I mentioned bruise was because you know when you get a really bad bruise it turns green OR when you die if you had a bruise clos to or after death it turns really big and green

Back
Top Bottom