Sudden GBR Deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloodroot

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my fish tank is cycled and about 3 months old now. Most of my fish have survived. However my male german blues both have died. I got one with my female pretty much while the tank cycled. He lived way past the end of the cycle and I suspect he was killed by my pleco stressing him and attacking him. So I went out and got a new german blue ram. He was doing great! Digging and cleaning spots for my female to spawn (however that behaviour was going on two weeks which seemed odd). Eating perfectly fine. Then one day he was dead and all my other fish were perfectly fine.
Now I have heard whispers of sudden death with GBR. Is this possible?
Tank details:
0-0-20
33% water change weekly
29 gallon
No other fish showing signs of stress.
Tank mates: Shrimp, kuhli loaches, peppered corys, female GBR, Bristlenose pleco and rasboras.
No signs of infection or illness.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're not the first person to experience sudden GBR deaths. They can be challenging, and it's suggested that you keep your nitrates to 10 ppm or so. You might want to try Bolivian rams, which are a bit hardier.

I wouldn't use rams or any other sensitive fish to cycle tanks. I'm surprised that your female GBR survived that.

You're not the first person to experience sudden GBR deaths. They can be challenging, and it's suggested that you keep your nitrates to 10 ppm or so. You might want to try Bolivian rams, which are a bit hardier.

I wouldn't use rams or any other sensitive fish to cycle tanks. I'm surprised that your female GBR survived that.

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are so inbred by humans to get them to that blue brilliance that they are weak fish. They like to just die often. Best to hair get a stack of them as some will die off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom