Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2022, 04:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

SUDDEN sick fish. Canít identify

I’ve had this betta for maybe 3-4 years now. I kept him in a betta bowl for most his life unfortunately. He was always healthy and made frequent bubble nests. After moving him to a 5 gallon with perfect parameters and weekly water changes he got sick. His bones poked out of his back fins and I quarantined him and have extra treatment. His was slow at the time and stayed in one spot. Ever since he healed he’s been very active and healthy.

Fast forward to today, maybe a month since he’s healed and in one day he went from perfect to this terrible color.

Water temperatures - ideal range
Parameters - perfect
Tank size - 10 Gallon
Tank mates - small school of guppies and a golden mystery snail
Water changes occur weekly

What is this? How can I fix it? How does it happen?

Old 03-29-2022, 06:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

3 to 4 years is max age for a betta. An elderly fish combined with the stress of a move could easily explain what you are seeing.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
3 to 4 years is max age for a betta. An elderly fish combined with the stress of a move could easily explain what you are seeing.
Hey thanks a lot for responding. I’d like to note that this did not happen gradually. Maybe small spots appeared one night and I didn’t notice them. But it seems to have gotten to this point in maybe 1-2 days. Is that normal?
Old 03-29-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Its an old fish, its been moved to a new environment, its been sick, gone through a stressful period of medication. Yes i would expect things to take a turn for the worse over a short period of time. When fish start to show symptoms they often rapidly progress.

Tags
fish, ick, identify, sick, sick fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com