Suggestions on stocking my aquatic medicine cabinet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered some medicine from Big Al's a while ago. When it arrived it had spilled all over everything in the shipment so I returned it. I've procrastinated ordering the stuff again from Drs Foster & Smith. I figured it was no big hurry since I've never had to deal with fish illness. Well today I go to feed in one of my tanks and find a female Edler's Livebearer covered with ich. Sigh. Nobody else appears to have even one spot but she's got them all over. I couldn't get a decent pic of it so here's my MS Paint version of her ich, lol.

Endler_ick.jpg

Stunning rendition, I know :wink:

Anyway, the medicines I was thinking of buying just to have on hand are:
Methylene Blue
Melafix
PimaFix

I just want to have stuff on hand for whatever may come up. Are there better alternatives? Some stuff I'm missing that I ought to have? Some stuff I don't need? Thanks :)

I actually have all 3 Sati; I've never even used the meth blue LOL You may want to scratch that one off the list.

I have, in my fishie medicine cabinet:

melafix which I use on occasion
pimafix which I just bought and am trying atm; jury is still out on that one
kanacyn which is the best antibiotic to have on hand IMHO although I haven't used it yet
RidIch which I've never used (I use the heat tx; I'll be selling that at the fish club auction)
maracyn which I've only used to clear up cyanobacteria
aquarium salt (also used to treat ich)
meth blue (see above)

Thats about it; as you can see some of it I have never even used.

Thanks for the suggestions, Alli :)

OK, I have no problem crossing the meth blue off the list cause that's the stuff that leaked and the smell make me freaking nauseous. I have no problem never smelling it again, lol.

Kanacyn? Hmmm, not seeing that on the site. Where'd you pick that up? I've seen it at my LFS but online is so much cheaper, heh.

I did grab it at a lfs; most places carry it. Its not horribly expensive (not like the price difference between a lfs and online when buying a diatom filter LOL) so I spent the extra pennies. The active ingredient is kanamycin, so any product with that should be just as effective.

Well I'm even thinking about ordering frozen foods online. At Drs F&S a sheet of bloodworms (like I normally buy) is $8.29 + $19.99 shipping for 1 day air. But the sheet is like $16 at my LFS so I'm thinking if I order a bunch of sheets of frozen foods to last me for the year then I'm going to save a ton in the long run.

I'm going to save a ton in the long run.
I think like that too! Just make sure you have room in the freezer!
I can't get that up here and when it was suggested for an ill fish, I just used a product with kanamycin and it worked great.

Back
Top Bottom