Swim Bladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madame_X

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long can a fish live without their swim bladder?

Both of my female platies have been hiding, trying to keep the male away from them. Obviously my black platy's hiding spot isn't as good, as she has had two litters in the past couple of months.

About a week ago, I noticed her lying on the bottom of the tank, sorta curled in a "C" shape. I didn't think she'd live, but a week later, she's still hanging around.

She only swims when something startles her or to eat, and when she does you can tell it takes quite an effort to get up. Once she stops swimming, she sinks like a log back to the bottom.

Water parameters are all fine, all the other fish are fine. I can see no signs of infection--I just think either she's worn out or her swim bladder went out from hiding under the filter intake constantly (is that possible?).

The fact that she eats makes me feel optimistic, but its so sad to see her lie on the bottom of the tank and struggle to swim, I almost wonder if it would be more humane to euthanize her.

Anyone know if she can recover from this?

If the swim bladder is damaged unfortunately not much can be done. If its being pressed on by something else then it may be.

I'd try treating her for constipation in case thats whats causing pressure on the swim bladder. Either a pea (since shes eating) or some epsom salts might help.

I also wonder if its piscine TB; generally swim bladder issues don't cause deformation like the c-curve. Then again, shes not showing other signs of disease...

I had a black tetra that was given to me with a "c-curve" as you call it. I wasn't sure what was wrong with it, but it lived for about 6 months like that before it died. It was hard watching it struggle to swim, but it mostly just swam in circles and never really seemed injured, just swimming funny :?

I sure hope it isn't fish TB, Alli. I know that will completely wipe out your tank and my new little pitbull pleco is in there. :( I guess I'd be more inclined to think that if she showed any other signs--but it just seems like she has somehow developed a curved spine and that it affects her ability to swim. Also, she continues to eat, and I think if she was actually SICK, she probably wouldn't swim out even for food. Her color seems fine, although she's solid black so she may not actually change color like paler fish.

I suppose I really should remove her from the tank so she's not putting the other fish at risk just in case, but I just finished breaking down my QT tank and cleaning everything this week. *sigh*

Tonight, we sent my little black platy off into the big aquarium in the sky. :cry:

It was pretty clear she was suffering, even though she would swim up to eat. Just lying on the bottom of the tank is no kinda life for a fish.

*sniffle* She was one of my first fish. Luckily she left me with five of her babies to remember her by.

Rest in peace, little platy!

Back
Top Bottom