Swim Bladder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hairball

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what is it?
my pleco has swollen to twice its size and its staying close to the top of the tank, i have only had it a few days but he's been fine untill last night he's not spicky so i don't think its droupsy or what ever you call it :)

thank for any help

The swim bladder is the thingy that makes a fish able to swim properly.
I don't really know a whole lot about plecos, but I can't think of anything that would make one swell up.... sorry. Well is it his whole body or just a certain part?

ashley

it seems to be just the belly area
it really does look like it going to pop :( i don't know what it is or if any other fish will get it ?? :?

I bet its an internal parasite of some sort. I'm very sorry, but if it is, I don't think its treatable.

If it is a parasite, I don't think it could be passed, but do some reseach because I'm not totally sure. I dont know how parasites work, but if the pleco dies I imagine it could find a new host or maybie die with the pleco. If I were you I would quarrantine him to be safe and do some research to find out more about it, fast.

Back
Top Bottom