Swim Bladder Disease??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My platy has been swimming kind of, crooked?, the past couple of days. He will eat and swim around okay but he hangs out on the bottom of the tank a lot more..

I believe this is swim bladder, but I’ve never dealt with a fish with swim bladder so I wanted a second opinion. I also don’t know how to treat it.

Unfortunately I’m not able to test the water and give you guys parameters but it’s a 36 gallon tank with 3 other platys, and angelfish, 2 gourami, and a plecostomus.

The pictures aren’t very good but I can’t add a video.
IMG_1513715383.358076.jpgIMG_1513715414.639705.jpgIMG_1513715480.040680.jpg

How much water do you usually change how often?
The spine looks 'bent' so I am thinking something else.Either internal parasite or bacterial infection.
Both have different approaches to treatment...

How much water do you usually change how often?
The spine looks 'bent' so I am thinking something else.Either internal parasite or bacterial infection.
Both have different approaches to treatment...

I did nearly a 50% water change three to four weeks ago and I was planning to be doing a 25% water change this week. None of my other fish are affected so I don’t know what it could be..

UPDATE:: he has now developed a pale spot on his tail fin. It was hard to get a picture of it because you could o my see it if the light hit it.. I’ve isolated him for now.. I’m not sure what to do..IMG_7592.jpgIMG_7593.jpg

To be honest I’d put him down. The spot suggests bacterial. As above, if the go unwell like that - could be bacterial or also parasites. Either way - very hard to treat in late stages where we notice something wrong. Doesn’t sound genetic.

Good news (of such) that you isolated him. As per usual, don’t mix nets between tanks, etc.

To be honest I’d put him down. The spot suggests bacterial. As above, if the go unwell like that - could be bacterial or also parasites. Either way - very hard to treat in late stages where we notice something wrong. Doesn’t sound genetic.

Good news (of such) that you isolated him. As per usual, don’t mix nets between tanks, etc.

Well I’d still like to give him a shot.. I suspected bacterial after the spot came up and bought a bacterial treatment. Should I treat the whole tank? Or keep him isolated and treat just his bag(I don’t have a hospital tank so I filled a gallon freezer bag and hung it in the tank with him)

I would not try to save the individual fish as much as have concern for rest of tank..
My guess says you have a columnaris infection growing in your tank.
In order to treat you need to get your water proper.I would up your water changes to at least weekly if not 2x a week. Then if other fish show signs you should treat the tank completely as this is where the bacteria is growing..
Columnaris is one of the worst disease to have in your tank so I would not mess around..
Kannamycin and Furan 2 installed together for a week atleast if not 2..
Here is a easy read on columnaris...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ts-1689.html&usg=AOvVaw31CC_glS6hh4rAe5K3QSC0
Good luck.

I would not try to save the individual fish as much as have concern for rest of tank..
My guess says you have a columnaris infection growing in your tank.
In order to treat you need to get your water proper.I would up your water changes to at least weekly if not 2x a week. Then if other fish show signs you should treat the tank completely as this is where the bacteria is growing..
Columnaris is one of the worst disease to have in your tank so I would not mess around..
Kannamycin and Furan 2 installed together for a week atleast if not 2..
Here is a easy read on columnaris...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ts-1689.html&usg=AOvVaw31CC_glS6hh4rAe5K3QSC0
Good luck.
+1. Excellent advice.

I agree - in later stages I’ve found salt or acriflavine, etc helps to knock it down a bit so the antibiotics have a better chance. Kind of like knock the crust off.

Even just half dosing but all depends on how strong the fish is. I’ve seen people use H2O2 as well.

Bigger the fish, the better the chances ime. Something I use is I imagine that infection / wound on a person (I know sounds bad), then think what it means / possible cause / treatments and then bring that back to the fish (and use to decide if trying to save or not - certainly can’t argue with giving treatment a go - it does build experience but yeah, tough infections to fight imo).

Back
Top Bottom